Bug

Question About Value Of Monroe Veach Saddle

I am curious about any history and the value of this saddle. I have done a search for other saddles of this type, but haven't been able to find any similar, and all have been priced anywhere between $250 and $1500. I was told it is 10 yrs old, but it does appear older to me. It has the tie strap sewn into the saddle, no tooling or really anything significant besides some stitching on the fender. It does have some tears in the right fender. It has a high cantle and padding against the back of the seat. It has obviously been used in the past for working, but seems solid. Rawhide wrapped wood tree. It is incredibly comfortable. Any help here would be appreciated. It has the maker mark in 4 places on the saddle. Thank you for any advice that you may have to offer here.

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

I didn't receive any responses to my last post, but will try again since I thoroughly enjoy lurking around this site and learning all I can about saddles. I found out some information about the saddle in question from my last post. It is a Veach saddle, known as a "lingle" saddle due to the original designer, Floyd Lingle, who moved to south FL after working with Monroe Veach in the 1940s. According to the company, this saddle was only sold in Florida and I do know that this particular style of saddle is still very popular with the dayworking cowboy.

I was curious about the rigging of this particular saddle, as it is very different from any other saddles I have seen. The tie strap is actually sewn into the saddle on both sides just behind the ring, which is much further forward than most saddles I've seen. Also, what is the deal with lace up stirrups? Is there an advantage to this that I don't see? (besides the fact that o thers don't ride in the saddle unless they share the same leg length...) This saddle is big on the mare in the picture, but fits my gelding beautifully which is not an easy thing to do. Any information behind the reason behind the style and construction is appreciated.

*I'm having trouble posting pics at the moment for some reason, but pics can be seen here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26050

Take this for what its worth, I am no saddle maker, but.....

The lace up stirrups may have been used since the saddle was only sold in Florida, and they wanted to avoid using Blevins buckles that may rust out at an inopportune time.

As far as the latigo being attached behind the ring, I cant think of a function other than to reduce the amount of bulk that you have in one spot. I dont think this hurts anything and really is no difference except for aesthetically.

Nice looking saddle though, the leather is surprisingly in good shape.

Your saddle is is fine shape from the pictures. However, I believe myour saddle is well over the ten years you have been told. Monroe would not have made

the saddle. However, his son-in-law still operates the original shop in Trenton, Mo. One of my reasons for aging your saddle is because of the laced

strirrup leather. They were very popular in the early days and were still in use through the 40's and early 50's. You will still find them in use on some

saddles today, mostly reproduction types. However, I do have them on my personal saddle and they are a pain in the neck when changing stirrup leather

lengths or stirrups - I go bewteen taps and oxbows. Without seeing your saddle first hand I would guesstimate its value at bwteen $750 and $1200 with

a probable price of $1000. Have seen the latigo sewn to the skirts on older saddles but none like yours for years. The powder river rigging plates

also makes me believe your saddle in late 40''s and they are still very very popular today for flat plate riggings and inskirt riggings. Hope this helps

a bit.

I'm curious if the rigging is the same on the off side or is it done differently?? Can't tell from the pics. I find the rigging interesting as the plate is forward and the latigo is behind it. Yes the plate is pretty far forward but with the lat being tied behind it so when the cinch is done up it will fall in between these 2 points which negates the plate being so far forward. Very interesting. Never seen this before. Thanks.

Tim

Thank you for the replies. Oddly enough, Peggy Veach responded that the saddle was made in 94. It was made in MO, but was modelled after a saddle made by Lingle for a cowboy in S. FL. Someone went into a western store in Okeechobee (about 20 miles from me) and wanted another saddle just like it after Lingle died, which is when Veach started working directly with this store. I don't know the exact number of saddles made, but they stopped making them when the store changed owners.

Yes, the latigo is attatched the same way on both sides. I was also curious about how the skirt was sewn together. I'm not sure the correct term, but the top skirt is sewn into the bottom. Apparently, there is also something interesting about how the stirrup and fender are hung on this saddle. Its definately a saddle that you can sit in all day. Veach said that to reproduce this exact saddle (all roughout, no bling) would cost $3000. This one is definately well worked out of, but still has a lot of life in it. How difficult would it be to change the lace up stirrups to a buckle?

Thank you for the replies. Oddly enough, Peggy Veach responded that the saddle was made in 94. It was made in MO, but was modelled after a saddle made by Lingle for a cowboy in S. FL. Someone went into a western store in Okeechobee (about 20 miles from me) and wanted another saddle just like it after Lingle died, which is when Veach started working directly with this store. I don't know the exact number of saddles made, but they stopped making them when the store changed owners.

Yes, the latigo is attatched the same way on both sides. I was also curious about how the skirt was sewn together. I'm not sure the correct term, but the top skirt is sewn into the bottom. Apparently, there is also something interesting about how the stirrup and fender are hung on this saddle. Its definately a saddle that you can sit in all day. Veach said that to reproduce this exact saddle (all roughout, no bling) would cost $3000. This one is definately well worked out of, but still has a lot of life in it. How difficult would it be to change the lace up stirrups to a buckle?

This saddle is a spin on the "balanced ride" saddles originally designed by Monte Foreman for the reining discipline. The latigo laced into the skirt behind the rigging allowed the bulk of the wraps to be spread out and not create the traditional "bump" under the riders leg and catching on the stirrup leathers. The stirrup leathers most likely are attached differently than a regular saddle and may not go around the tree bars conventionally. This may cause some complication for changing the lace up adjustment to buckles, but certainly can be done. The rear jockeys are laced to the skirts to create a housing for the tree without additional thickness of leather adding weight and expense.

Keith