jaysouth88

Best Way To Store Stamps - Noob Question.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to leather working and might have jumped in feet first. I won a local auction on a collection of 70 stamps and some other bits and pieces and everything arrived today.

The tools look like they are in really good condition to my inexperienced eye - they all look like they have their chrome plating in tact - and arrived wrapped up in a kitchen paper towel in a tin. I was wondering what the best way to store them would be. I'm guessing it's not good for them to be banging into each other.

I have seen wooden holders online and can probably get a family member to help me make one but I would like something a bit more compact. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Hello again,

I decided to do this to them, which I suppose classes as my first ever leather project. I have quite a bit of this leather lying around and I haven't done anything with it. Its like car upholstery leather. I made the mistake of sewing the gaps in the canvas just a little bit too small (I suggest more than 5mm if anyone gets any ideas on this) but it will do for now, and the canvas has a little bit of give in it anyway. This has made the leather on the outside go wrinkly but oh well.. I attached a strap in the middle of the long side and just wrap it around to close it up. Now it can sit safely somewhere when I have to pack things away and there is enough space on the long leather side to sew another row of canvas holder if I acquire more stamps. I don't think it's too bad for a first effort, and don't look to closely at the stitching - my treadle machine was throwing wobblies today.

Now to use them all!

Cheers

post-44722-0-34968800-1382700913_thumb.j

post-44722-0-03236200-1382700916_thumb.j

Nice job for your first ever leather project. Looks like you are pretty much on your way.

Karina

That looks great. I keep mine in those wooden blocks but it looks cluttered, but handy.

Hi Jaysouth, and welcome to the forum. I'm actually wanting to make a tool roll something like what you have made. That's a very traditional way of storing stamps. Yours looks pretty functional, and that's probably what is most important. Good job!

Bob