Wanderinstar

Phone Case For Iphone 5

I am in the process of making a phone case for an iPhone5. I had ordered a magnetic catch for the closure, to avoid pressing on the screen with a standard press stud( or snap as you call it over there).

Thing is, I have just thought will the magnetism in the magnetic catch cause any problems with the phone. I feel as if I am between a rock and a hard place.

I have thought a lot about this for future projects. The best answer I've come up with so far is velcro.

If the iPhone has a magnetic switch in it (like the iPad) to blank the screen when the cover is closed, that is the only effect that magnets will have on modern solid state devices. Does not affect memory, etc. as magnetism is not used for storing information. It is easy to test, just move a magnet around the front and back surfaces to see if it triggers any switches.

Some models of Blackberry phones use a magnet in the case to switch the screen off automatically when the phone is holstered.

The one thing to watch for with phone cases is that they are not so tight as to hold push bottom switches in the depressed position. Software can get mixed up with the "unusual" condition and require a hard re-boot, taking the battery out and replacing it, to restart the phone. Some after market cases were being blamed for these software problems, blamed on the magnets, but really was the case was too tight.

Tom