Sign in to follow this  
George B

Attempting To Make Dual Mag Holder

Hey All, I have been trying to make a dual mag pouch for a pair of double-stack magazines and cannot get it. I can make a single with no problem, but I have burned through a bunch of leather and just can't get a dual right. it has to go on the side of a shoulder holster and I will be using a safety strap on each mag to hold in place. Getting the sides has been easy but the bottom, where the feed ends are, I can't figure out how to stitch it so it comes out uniform. What do you do so there is not a bunch of bunched up leather?

Any help will be appreciated. George

George,

i'm not sure what you are trying to explain. are you having trouble with the mag covers? here is an example of one i completed for a shoulder rig if it helps.

Tony

post-10372-020620100 1305143531_thumb.jp

Edited by troop

Hi Tony, I'm not having a problem with the retention/safety straps. I can't get mine to look anything like the one you posted. The mags end up going angled out at the bottom and in at the top, in general it ends up looking like absolute garbage. Sorry, but I am so frustrated right now that I'll probably go to hell when I die just for the language I am using in my head.

Is your mag pouch flat on the back? Or, are you molding and forming to the mags on both sides?

Thanks, George

This pic of one I just worked on may help. post-18937-080658000 1305153960_thumb.jp

The bottom corners are expanding out and the back is not staying flat.

The back is not a problem but the corners are driving me crazy.

well I had the same problem you are having , I think what the problem is that the at the feed end of the mag, the thickness tapers out the the butt. and that was causing the leather to not expand and straightening the stitch line so what I did was move in the bottom of the stitch line to compensate that and when wet formed the line straightened out to look perfect . Its hard to explaine but you can see what im talking about .On the pattern you can see the line on the left side of the pattern is inward on the bottom more than the top . it looks funny at 1st but cleans up nicely after forming . You can see in the next pic how everything is straightened up and looks normal

post-14807-023125100 1305159514_thumb.jp

post-14807-081554400 1305159528_thumb.jp

ok, now i see what you are talking about. i had the same problem when i first started making mag pouches in that manner. (before i had molds and blanks made) BITONE40 has it right with the way he cants in the thread line and how it evens out after putting the mag in. another option is to cut a U-shaped section out of the middle side so when you fold up the two ends those protruding corners are gone. mine are flat on the back with the front placed in a mold in a 12 ton press.

good luck and keep at it. you'll be glad you didnt give up.

Tony

Thank you very much for your help.

I think I finally have it. Because the upper section of the mag is thicker and the bottom narrow, the top pulls in to form to the wider section while the lower is affected less and therefore retains more of it's shape causing the bottom ends to appear wider.

Did two more, one was much better and the second turned out almost exactly as I wanted.

If anyone else has input, please, let me know your ideas.

I will post pics once they dry and are boned.

Thanks again and yeppers, real glad I didn't give up.

George