Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Second Set Of Covers

Here is my latest set of side covers that was a semi-custom request. I had a heck of a time matching the color to the other leathers on his bike. There are 8 other leather items on his bike that range from 6 mos. to 6 yrs. old and have all aged differently, not to mention being from 3 different makers (I'll be the fourth). After some experimenting I got them to the exact color he wanted (met up to color match when the first one was 1/2 done) and went from there. Aside from my normal treatment, he wanted the row of spots on the bottom and a half dollar concho that was larger than what I normally use.

The first pic shows a set of factory covers untouched and a the new 'improved' set. You can see in the last photo that I am also adding storage pockets where there previously were none. The pockets are 4-5oz leather, molded to the inside curves and then I use contact cement to place them. Once positioned, I drill holes through the leather and cover and then saddle stitch the pocket in. Makes then extra tough and I don't have to worry about the outline of rivets showing up on the outside under the leather.

To get the domed rivets to work on the bottom row, I had to not only drill and punch the holes but also had to recess the back of the cover as there just aren't rivet backs that work with domed rivets that are long enough. I add a bit of epoxy in the post holes to ensure they won't come loose with the motor vibration.

DSC00274-1.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276-1.jpg

Very nice!! You do great work.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

Very nice!! You do great work.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

Thanks Chris!

-Chris

you are doing great work nice job