Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Help with attachments

Click "add reply" or "new topic" to bring up the screen to compose a post. Underneath where you type your message, you will see "file attachment" Click "browse" to navigate to the file on your computer. Attachments can have almost any picture extensions, i.e. jpg, png, gif, bmp etc or be files like txt, pdf, doc etc. After you have located the attachment you wish to post click "add this attachment" and you will see your attachment in a white box. If you click remove, it is removed. If you click "add into" it will allow you to place it wherever in the post you desire.

I set permissions very high. You don't need to bother reducing a size as long as the size is under 500K. The software will automatically generate a thumbnail version that people can click on if they wish to view an attachment, and it will open for them in a separate window. This saves page loading time, and reduces the wait for those with slow internet connections. If you want to delete an attachment from your own post you can do it with the "edit" feature, or in your user control panel. If anyone is worried about space, don't be. The board will be a permanent online storage, and if it gets "full", I'll bump up permissions again. We have unlimited webspace.

There has been some concern about adult material possibly being posted. I created an "adult only" area that is hidden from people who haven't requested access. Only people registered to that forum will get search results from that forum. If you would like to be able to see the biker art and other adult items, please PM me, and I will reset your permissions. The idea is to keep the main board "family friendly", but still have a place where consenting adults can display their work and discuss their business.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know, and I will do my best to help.

Johanna

I have followed your directions to the letter on how to post pictures, and so far nothing I do has worked. Is there some trade secret that I am missing, or am I that computer illiterate or is it in my computer itself? Any clues will help.

Click "add reply" or "new topic" to bring up the screen to compose a post. Underneath where you type your message, you will see "file attachment" Click "browse" to navigate to the file on your computer. Attachments can have almost any picture extensions, i.e. jpg, png, gif, bmp etc or be files like txt, pdf, doc etc. After you have located the attachment you wish to post click "add this attachment" and you will see your attachment in a white box. If you click remove, it is removed. If you click "add into" it will not reduce to a thumbnail.

I set permissions very high. You don't need to bother reducing a size as long as the size is under 500K.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know, and I will do my best to help.

Johanna

Hello JoHanna

How do you resize a photo if it exceeds 500K? I think the ones that I am posting are too big when opened by Internet Explorer

Blake

Joe & Blake- hope this helps:

Save the photo to your hard drive. Download and install "Image Resizer" http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/dow...s/powertoys.asp

Highlight any pic(s) you want to change, and right click. You will see an option to resize to small med and large. "Mediums" are great for this forum. (800X600) in a click or two you will have a newly sized pic with a name indicating your choice that you can change to whatever.

You may also want to consider turning down the resolution on your digital camera. The human eye can only see so many pixels on even the fanciest monitor, so unless you have special reasons for taking the pictures so high, I wouldn't. I'd drop them down to between 250-500K, and then use the resizer if I liked them well enough to want to email them. Otherwise, you can upload them directly from your computer. Just save the images directly from your camera to your computer, unless you are using a 35mm. If you are obtaining your pics from the developers website, you can save the images to your own computer and monkey with them however it pleases you. An easy to use graphics program is Irfanview, and it's free. http://www.irfanview.com/

Joe, if you upload photos from another site instead of your own computer, they won't show on the forum if the other site is having problems, or you close your account. The only thing that will be backed up on my routine is a link, not the actual image.

You guys do really nice work, and I am glad you are posting your pics. If anyone has a business, make sure you take the time to fill in your profile (contact and website) info located in your control panel and post your stuff- on this site we encourage bragging, and want you to find customers by displaying your talents.

Johanna

Hmm . . . . let's see if this works.

Chucky__s_Callahan_Lightning.JPG

Yep. it works! Thanks Johanna

post-141-1154803174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim

I'm going to try this again with your instructions. Maybe one of these days I'll get it figured out.:dunno:

I have read, experimented and still nothing shows up. I'm not through yet, just give me more time to figure this out. If Jim can do it, so can I (I hope).

Next attempt to install pictures. Bear with me please.

DSC00006__Medium_.JPG

post-14-1154895524_thumb.jpg

I have finally discovered why I was unable to post pictures. If, after reading the instructions I had payed attention to detail, I would have seen that the pictures I was trying to post were too large. Now that I have that figured out I think I can post like everybody else. Like my ol' pappy used to say, "if at first you don't succeed, read the directions".

Joe, I'm glad you figured it out. I like the piece you posted. Do you do a lot of figure carving? I like work that's "out of the box". Now that you know how, no excuse for not sharing what you've been up to!

Are you familiar with Darwin Ohlerking? His work has been featured in the LC &SJ many times, and he has received IFoLG and Midwest Federation awards. He specialty is buildings, and angles and contrast of meticulous precision. If you haven't already seen his art, you may be interested in his style. I'll look him up and see if he will let me post some of his pictures, if anyone is interested.

Johanna

"Are you familiar with Darwin Ohlerking?"

I have seen many of Mr. Ohlerking's works in the leathercraft magazines. He does excellent work, but I have never met him. I did see one of his original pieces in a local doctors office. The doctor told me that his wife bought it for his office, but he didn't even know it was leather until I pointed it out to him.

I do a lot of pictorials, but mostly animals. The Indian ruin picture is the only one I have done with buildings. I have done quite a few dragons that I have found on posters and such; watch for my latest in Butler. I walked away from last years Federation show with my first First Place ribbon. I hope to have many more before I give up the ghost. After the show this year I will post my latest. By the way, the Indian ruin picture came off a photograph found in a travel magazine.

I am unable to post an Excel file. Is this an allowable type of file to post? It is small, so I should not be limited by file size. I would like to post a list of items I am selling in the For Sale area.

Thank you!