Sign in to follow this  
glockanator

Another Iwb Holster Question

For an IWB Holster is it better to do a pancake style or pouch style?. Does it make a difference? Is it more what you prefer to make?

Thanks

Glockanator, I don't know if I can answer out of experience as I don't make IWB holsters, but.......were I too.....I believe the pancake would do a better job of being able to conform to the body better and be able to hide easier as there wouldn't be the wide radius in front to hide. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

pancake better, because the straps used to secure holster to belt will be on the thinest side of the holster keeping the bulge of holster as thin as possible.

straps mounted on holster main body will cause more of a bulge where pants go over holster. this will allow holster to be more noticeable.

Every holster ever designed involved compromises among four basic factors; i.e.: comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises among the other factors.

IWB-style holsters generally emphasize concealability by keeping the bulk of the handgun inside the trouser waistband. The compromises are typically found in reduced accessibility, as well as comfort issues for many users.

IWB-style holsters can be made to allow greater accessibility (especially in ease of re-holstering) by significant reinforcement of the holster mouth area. The trade-off comes with increased bulk and reduced comfort in many designs.

IWB-style holsters based on the pancake-style of construction allow for reduced bulk and greater concealability, but there are few methods available for reinforcing the holster mouth to permit ease of access (re-holstering) because of the natural flex-lines created by the fore-and-aft stitch lines. Adding material to the holster mouth can be superfluous unless provisions are made to prevent collapse of the holster along the stitch-lines when the handgun is removed and the holster remains compressed between the body and trousers/belt.

Many folks carry IWB-style all the time without problems. Many others (including myself) cannot tolerate IWB-style carry for any length of time. I regularly make dozens of IWB-style holsters every month, many intended for very large and bulky handguns, that I would not consider for my own use. I'm an old guy and my personal philosophy of life revolves around personal comfort; others may view things differently, and that is their prerogative.

If there were such a thing as the "perfect holster" design there would be only one holster design being produced. In point of fact, there are millions of handgun owners, each having his/her own preferences and requirements, and none of those are perfectly suited by ANY holster design. This may help to explain why there are so many holster makers, and so many different designs offered.

I make 11 holster designs, with or without 4 common options, in 4 finish colors, for 137 different handguns, resulting in over 24,000 possible variations (not including left-hand versions). I still receive requests for others daily. Things were much simpler 40 years ago, half-a-dozen handgun manufacturers each offering half-a-dozen models. Now there are dozens of manufacturers, each offering dozens of variations, and new handgun models being introduced just about every week. Add in the after-market products (tactical lights, laser sights, custom safeties and other parts) and it becomes an endless cycle of trying to keep up with everything anyone can dream of to strap on his belt.

For those who have never been through the process of developing a new holster design, allow me to share the experience. I have developed 3 unique holster designs, each of which took between 5 months and 14 months to bring a finished design to marketable status. Hundreds of drawings, followed by dozens of patterns produced, then a dozen or more prototype holsters made for testing by multiple experienced individuals, then revisions based upon feedback, resulting in more prototype production, then light at the end of the tunnel (meaning the time has arrived to start producing several hundred patterns for the final design adapted to every handgun type accomodated), all before an order comes in with payment for the first production product.

I encourage everyone to continue thinking about possibilities. Roy Baker developed the pancake-style holster ("Roy's Original Pancakes") while working out of his garage in Indiana before moving to Arkansas and building a factory to produce them. Bruce Nelson developed his "Professional Model", then licensed production to some very talented people, followed by multiple knock-offs by any number of sources. Legendary lawman Tom Threepersons came up with a design for his personal holster and had "Tio Sam" Myres, S.D. Myres Saddlery Company, make the original, followed by millions of copies and subsequent innovations on the original idea.

I have a few new ideas floating around in my head, usually for a year or two before I have the time to try them out on paper or with leather. Maybe I'll come up with something worthwhile, maybe not.

Keep after it, keep working your mind. Maybe you will come up with something that meets someone's needs or preferences. That's what the business is all about.

Great response, Lobo!!

The only thing I can think of to add is that the best one to make is the one your customer wants.

Every holster ever designed involved compromises among four basic factors; i.e.: comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises among the other factors.

IWB-style holsters generally emphasize concealability by keeping the bulk of the handgun inside the trouser waistband. The compromises are typically found in reduced accessibility, as well as comfort issues for many users.

IWB-style holsters can be made to allow greater accessibility (especially in ease of re-holstering) by significant reinforcement of the holster mouth area. The trade-off comes with increased bulk and reduced comfort in many designs.

IWB-style holsters based on the pancake-style of construction allow for reduced bulk and greater concealability, but there are few methods available for reinforcing the holster mouth to permit ease of access (re-holstering) because of the natural flex-lines created by the fore-and-aft stitch lines. Adding material to the holster mouth can be superfluous unless provisions are made to prevent collapse of the holster along the stitch-lines when the handgun is removed and the holster remains compressed between the body and trousers/belt.

Many folks carry IWB-style all the time without problems. Many others (including myself) cannot tolerate IWB-style carry for any length of time. I regularly make dozens of IWB-style holsters every month, many intended for very large and bulky handguns, that I would not consider for my own use. I'm an old guy and my personal philosophy of life revolves around personal comfort; others may view things differently, and that is their prerogative.

If there were such a thing as the "perfect holster" design there would be only one holster design being produced. In point of fact, there are millions of handgun owners, each having his/her own preferences and requirements, and none of those are perfectly suited by ANY holster design. This may help to explain why there are so many holster makers, and so many different designs offered.

I make 11 holster designs, with or without 4 common options, in 4 finish colors, for 137 different handguns, resulting in over 24,000 possible variations (not including left-hand versions). I still receive requests for others daily. Things were much simpler 40 years ago, half-a-dozen handgun manufacturers each offering half-a-dozen models. Now there are dozens of manufacturers, each offering dozens of variations, and new handgun models being introduced just about every week. Add in the after-market products (tactical lights, laser sights, custom safeties and other parts) and it becomes an endless cycle of trying to keep up with everything anyone can dream of to strap on his belt.

For those who have never been through the process of developing a new holster design, allow me to share the experience. I have developed 3 unique holster designs, each of which took between 5 months and 14 months to bring a finished design to marketable status. Hundreds of drawings, followed by dozens of patterns produced, then a dozen or more prototype holsters made for testing by multiple experienced individuals, then revisions based upon feedback, resulting in more prototype production, then light at the end of the tunnel (meaning the time has arrived to start producing several hundred patterns for the final design adapted to every handgun type accomodated), all before an order comes in with payment for the first production product.

I encourage everyone to continue thinking about possibilities. Roy Baker developed the pancake-style holster ("Roy's Original Pancakes") while working out of his garage in Indiana before moving to Arkansas and building a factory to produce them. Bruce Nelson developed his "Professional Model", then licensed production to some very talented people, followed by multiple knock-offs by any number of sources. Legendary lawman Tom Threepersons came up with a design for his personal holster and had "Tio Sam" Myres, S.D. Myres Saddlery Company, make the original, followed by millions of copies and subsequent innovations on the original idea.

I have a few new ideas floating around in my head, usually for a year or two before I have the time to try them out on paper or with leather. Maybe I'll come up with something worthwhile, maybe not.

Keep after it, keep working your mind. Maybe you will come up with something that meets someone's needs or preferences. That's what the business is all about.

Plus one --- a whole bunch of times to you Ray --- I couldn't have said it half as well as did you. When you add in all custom work to the equation, folks just don't understand the time and effort involved. I just delivered a full rig for a Ruger Mk III 'Hunter'. The customer wanted a flap holster with a magazine pouch integral on the front of the holster --- plus two double mag holders on the belt. I measured him personally and he needed a 56" gunbelt. Lead time was about a month, and he seemed a bit testy about that.. The customer is a large,older gentleman, plagued by the residuals from a stroke, plus some other medical problems. By the time I finished it (in three weeks) I had to take it back and redo the billet end to make up for a twelve pound weight loss by him. I couldn't tell by his demeanor if he was pleased, but his wife told me that he was as happy as a five year old on Christmas. Mike.

heh, yeah, Lobo, lots of dog chews here too...

though, seems that even a nixed attempt can be turned into a jewel in most instances.

For me, a full size and a compact are good to go with a pancake, sub compact, not so good....

If my customer can't be persuaded to choose my "Cactus" model for IWB, . . . my next choice for them is a pancake.

IF I make them an IWB pancake, . . . it is always a "flat backed" pancake. I've found that will make it much harder for the holster to collapse inside the waistband without the hand gun in it. As LOBO pointed out, . . . a standard pancake can collapse like a pin pricked balloon.

But then again, . . . almost all of my customers are looking for concealability and comfort, . . . and I make only a few OWB holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight