Wanderinstar

Surface For Stamping On.

Hi all,

I have a piece of marble, that I had given, that I use to stamp on. However this is about 20x16x1/2". This is now starting to break up at the edges. Obviously to thin. My question is what is the minimum thickness I could use. Also could I use a piece of sanded up sandstone, or Yorkshire stone as we call it over here. I am thinking of the stone they use for fireplace hearths.

Why do we all use marble or granite. If it has to be marble or granite I was wondering about the offcut they produce when fitting worktops in kitchens, when they cut out for the sink or the cooking hob., This I believe is about 1 1/4" thick.

Marble is a softer material than the granite most folks seem to use. As for thickness, it seems that a minimum of 1" to ???

Some use the cutouts from counter fabricators and have even heard of folks using cemetery headstone material.

Hope this is of use.

God Bless.

Ray

I have always used a sink cutout from a granite counter top but I am starting to feel it is not "dead" enough. If I could choose anything, I would get something at least 2 inches thick. The trouble is finding it. It seems the only things available are counter top remnants (1"thick) and gravestone remnants (4-6" thick and super heavy). My 1" thick piece definitely gets the job done and it was free, just not ideal.

I live in the heart of limestone country. I have a 3 in piece that I've used for a year and it works great. I think if the stone is smooth and thick enough it would work. I wouldn't spend a lot for testing. It needs to be a solid base or you will have problems with cracking any way. Rob

There is always the option of using granite surface plates. Granite stones that have been ground level, plumb and square for the metal machining industry and others too i suppose. Grizzly tools seems to have the least expensive examples I have seen. Link here. They have several sizes but, I do not know about shipping costs but I have ***always*** had good experiences with the company previously.

Bro Tim

I agree with Tim. Shars tools has 12x18x3 surface plates for under 50 bucks.

Check out Enco for a surface plate. They have free shipping on the 12 x 18 x 3 sometimes. That's where i got mine from.

I went to a granite and marble store in the town i live in and they sell samples for i think it was 25$. The samples are 12X12 and 1 1/2 " thick. Most places will sell you their drop off for cheap.

+1 for granite surface plates.

If you are really on the cheap....go to the local (if you have one) tombstone or granite signage place. They usually have 3" slabs in their trash pile for free. They aren't very big (8x18 or 10x18 ish)...but it's free and 3" granite.

Sorry I am coming to this late... Look around and see if there is a stone counter top maker in your city. They will have scrap onsite. My local shop has to pay to have it taken away. So they are more than happy for you to take it. I have several pieces and do all kinds of work on them. Tooling as well. Just a thought.

A good cheap solution is to pick up three or four counter top off cuts, and glue them together. Sometime in the sixties I made up one for my father the size of a double sink using five layers bonded together with epoxy tar. It is still in use in a saddleshop, and has not come adrift yet. Today, epoxy tar is industrial use only, so hard to obtain, but there are a number of epoxis that will do the trick. Just clean the surfaces really good before glueing them. Goof Off works wonders at cleaning stone.

Woody