Tried this because I saw it in the Tandy Skiver newsletter. The belt is embossed and was used as a trial for the braiding concept.

I like it, it is different. Has potential for decorative braiding on instrument straps, belts, etc.

Ken

post-6362-053193900 1293592526_thumb.jpg

post-6362-067800700 1293592529_thumb.jpg

post-6362-032009000 1293592532_thumb.jpg

Tried this because I saw it in the Tandy Skiver newsletter. The belt is embossed and was used as a trial for the braiding concept.

I like it, it is different. Has potential for decorative braiding on instrument straps, belts, etc.

Ken

I agree with you Ken

here is my first attempt at having a go

post-12723-096172600 1293619045_thumb.jp

:cheers: Ken and keep on posting

I agree with you Ken

here is my first attempt at having a go

post-12723-096172600%201293619045_thumb.jpg

:cheers: Ken and keep on posting

Bevan,

I like your's better, the pattern in the Skiver was with two holes and two strips of leather, I'd be interested in knowing how many holes and what the braid pattern was on yours, additionally what it looks like on the reverse side..

Nice work, did you use Kangaroo lace?

Ken

Ken

Here's what they call an "applique" on a dog collar. It isn't lined so you can see the back side. I was actually surprised at how neat it turned out and decided not to line it.

post-9389-014191500 1293630193_thumb.jpg

Here's what they call an "applique" on a dog collar. It isn't lined so you can see the back side. I was actually surprised at how neat it turned out and decided not to line it.

Excellent work, I hadn't noticed too much braiding on straps, I'd seen braided straps. This is another excellent example and a neat idea for Instrument straps as well as belts. I do a lot of double loop and Mexican Round Braid on edges, but I haven't seen any books or instructions on lacing techniques like these, where did you get the instructions on how to braid it or did you design it yourself?

Ken

Ken

Excellent work, I hadn't noticed too much braiding on straps, I'd seen braided straps. This is another excellent example and a neat idea for Instrument straps as well as belts. I do a lot of double loop and Mexican Round Braid on edges, but I haven't seen any books or instructions on lacing techniques like these, where did you get the instructions on how to braid it or did you design it yourself?

Ken

Ken

I started using applique on canvas with rope many years ago. I found it again in leather a few years ago. I think the best examples and directions are in "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant, pgs 146 to 163. Have fun with it.

good work on all the applique examples. :thumbsup: now i've had to add one more item to the list of things i need to learn.

ken, about how long did it take you to do the braiding on your belt? it matches up nicely with your buckle.

ken

good work on all the applique examples. :thumbsup: now i've had to add one more item to the list of things i need to learn.

ken, about how long did it take you to do the braiding on your belt? it matches up nicely with your buckle.

ken

Ken,

Not as long as you'd think, maybe an hour on the actual braiding, definitely not more. It took longer to layout and punch the holes, this braid requires 2 lines of holes spaced 3/8" apart with the holes spaced 3/8" apart on the lines. I used a 1/8" punch so the actual braiding goes very quickly. If you get the Skiver newsletter from Tandy the instructions are in the latest one, if not let me know and I can send you a copy of the instructions via email.

Ken

thanks ken,

i just recently renewed my club membership with Tandy, but i haven't gotten a current skiver yet. let me see if they offer an online version, if not then i would very much appreciate the instructions.

ken

Love the braiding , put it on the list , thinks to learn.

Great buckle Ken, which buckle did you use as hardware?

Did you glue the leather on it?

Bevan,

I like your's better, the pattern in the Skiver was with two holes and two strips of leather, I'd be interested in knowing how many holes and what the braid pattern was on yours, additionally what it looks like on the reverse side..

Nice work, did you use Kangaroo lace?

Ken

Thanks Ken

I used the same as Spence did for his dog collar , still only two rowes of holes but 3 inbetween them on each end , they are for the start and finish , so i used a 5 thong and followed the Bruce Grant book ,very handy book to have in your libery !!!

Your buckel is very nice mate , any info on how you did it ?? as i would like to 1 as nice as that

Cheers Bevan

Happy new year mate

Love the braiding , put it on the list , thinks to learn.

Great buckle Ken, which buckle did you use as hardware?

Did you glue the leather on it?

Joquarter,

This is a 1-1/2" buckle blank, I buy them from Tandy by the dozens, I play music and we wear these on stage to prevent scratching up instruments with regular Western Style buckles. I don't glue them, the metal buckle blank is sandwiched between the two leather buckle then laced. I threw this one together very quickly to try it out on the new belt some are a lot more detailed in the carvings.

They are great gifts for dads, husbands, sons, son-in-laws, etc.

I'm attaching a picture of the front and back and a picture of the items from the Tandy Catalog. Hope that helps, thanks for the nice comments.

Ken

Thanks everyone for all the great comments and tips. I've already looked the book up on Amazon.com, I'm going to get it.

Ken

post-6362-038799300 1293755773_thumb.jpg

post-6362-068121900 1293755775_thumb.jpg

post-6362-067681000 1293755817_thumb.jpg

post-6362-021595800 1293755819_thumb.jpg

Thanx !

Ken

nice job. i love the look of that belt.

i did something similar (lacing wise) to a belt that i made a while back. i used a (very sharp) carpenter's chisel and made a channel on the backside of the belt to recess the lacing. then, i lined the belt to cover up the lacing. you'd never know it was there. it made for a very clean look.