I'm just starting to gather some tools and a few book before starting to "practice" on some scrap leather. When I'm ready, I will probably make items for the family and me for now. Probably key fobs, clutch purses, checkbook covers and tri-fold wallets (mine is about shot). I know I can buy the wallet and clutch purse interiors on springfield leather, but I'm not sure about the leather weights. I have read 4/5 oz for the outside and 2/3 for the inside of checkbook covers, how thick for the wallets? And what type of veg tanned leather (shoulder etc?). These will probably be laced (I really like that look), and a pattern will be applied to the outside.

Thanks

Tony

Those weights would work fine for a wallet too. I don't think it matters what cut you get for something like a wallet.

Thanks

Tony, I know you asked for veg tanned, but for some of your purses/bags/clutches you may want to look at chrome tanned leather, in about 3-4 oz. You can find many colors and types of embossing that may give you a very different look. You can still lace it. If you ask the folks at Springfield leather, they will send you only the amount you need so you don't have an entire hide for one little clutch. (BTW - Depending on your design, with that wt. leather you may need to add a stiffener to get the shape you are after) Just an idea to consider. Best of luck.

OK, I'll have to lookup what a stiffener is.

Thanks

You can use lots of different things to create a stiffener. It all depends on the look, structure, and function you want your item to have. You can use bontex, which is a treated paper product to help prevent mold and mildew if it gets wet. It comes in different wts from .014 to .060 [probably more than that, I just use those], sometimes felt, an iron-on or sew in interfacing, other leather, plastic/composite sheets from thin to heavy enough for suitcases, and lots of other things I am sure others use that have not crossed my mind. Hope that helps and isn't confusing.

it has helped a lot, thanks! :)

Has anyone bought a cheap wallet (or whatever) that has the slots, size etc you want then take it apart and make a pattern from it?

Edited by retiredff