I'm looking for what I need to make my first project - a wallet. I had an old cheap one that I took apart and made a pattern. I want the ID or drivers lic. pocket to have a clear cover. What do I use and where can I get it if not something readly available? Is it stitched/glued or both? Thanks Tony

Edited by retiredff

Hi Tony, I use ID Holders like the ones you where around your neck on a lanyard from Staples. Good Luck Tim

Edited by Tim Schroeder

Great, that is just what I needed.

Thanks Tim

They can be stitched or glued in. If the pocket is tight and you won't be pulling the ID out too often, then no stitching or glue is necessary.

You might recover some nice flat pieces of plastic from clamshells that a lot of goods are packaged for sale in

Tom

I never thought of those, thanks Tom.

I cut my clear piece the same size as the pocket so it is glued and sewn and I only sew around the inside if the customer request it.

You can also buy it in sheet form. Several places have the acetate and plastic by the yard. I have it and I don't like it.
So I was wondering if anyone has seen where you can get the material that is now coming out in commercial wallets that has something like a cross-hatch either design or material. It seems like it will stand up longer. I have seen many that have a hole in the center to help remove the ID. So it has to be better than the old acetate and plastic. Ideas?

blue duck - that is exactly what I'm looking for, the hole in the center, clear or frosted would be OK with me.

i use marine grade clear vinyl in my wallets and never had a problem with it works great

what is your source LTC?

a friend that works at an upholstery shop gave me a couple yards of it but i have seen it in a few places. i'll ask him where he gets it and post back when i find out

here you go.......

https://www.fabric.com/buy/de-695/30-gauge-clear-vinyl

if you search for just clear vinyl on there you'll see the different thicknesses they have

hth

Edited by LTC

Tap Plastics if you have one near you.