Fatolbaldguy

Sewing Machine. Not Leather

I have been thinking of trying my hand at some leather hat making. I am wondering if buying a regular run of the mill sewing machine for linings combination cover tops etc would be a good idea? I love toys and if it has a motor and a cord I tend to go off half cocked. Your opinions would be appreciated.

A more accurate description of what you want to sew would help......if your just sewing cloth then yes it would work........leather ........maybe.....depends on weight and type of leather for an accurate answer

Cloth. For linings like satin and cloth hat covers on crusher type hats. Maybe the fine leather use for hat band but I think I could do that by hand.

I would check with a local sewing machine dealer to make sure it will handle the type of material that you want to sew but would not be a big problem

I have a 50 year old 'Domestic" that was my mothers. Solid metal like the old Singers - no plastic. I can sew

garment leather and 1 to 2 oz leather easy enough... maybe more.

I bought my wife a Bernina home sewing machine. She had a cheapo Janome sewing machine before. I have to say that the Bernina (the lower end model) is awesome. Great control. good features. I use it to sew the cloth liners for my bags. Not a heavy duty machine but it sews great.

Andrew

I got a Singer 99K. Its a cool machine. After researching my new machine I think I did pretty good.