I'm new to this forum as a member but I have stopped in from time to time for info. I started my company over a year ago and it was due to the insanely shitty leather goods that flood the market, figured I could do it better. I come from a construction background of 16 years, my father and I own a company and I do the trim making, tile work and fine details of our operation along with all other aspects of construction. I just love fine details and a high end product, it overflows into my wood working, metal fab and leather designs. So far everything I do is hand stitched, I just bought a Consew 226 from the original owner so I will have many questions in the future!

I make mostly men's daily items: Belts, wallets, watch straps and bags.

www.facebook.com/bweissleather

www.bweissleather.com

post-55692-0-58570400-1412111577_thumb.j

post-55692-0-33597500-1412111661_thumb.j

post-55692-0-72161800-1412112016_thumb.j

post-55692-0-54725900-1412112048_thumb.j

Edited by BWeiss

I welcome any advice, I currently use a waxed round synthetic sinew in all my stitching. I use Wickett & Craig and just sent in for a large sample from Horween, W&C is just local to me, so that is why I mostly use them. I am a perfectionist, so I am VERY hard on myself and my products, I strive to only use the best and offer stuff to last a life time.

If someone could be so kind to direct me to a Servo motor that is best suited to the Consew 226 that would be great! I talked with Leather Machine Co yesterday about buying the 226 and Bob called me back but I was on the road to buy the 226. Is their servo motors made in China? I don;t mind spending 500+ on a proper digital servo motor.

How were you able to order a large sample from Horween?

I sent them an email of the types of leather I was interested in seeing(oil, veg*16oz, chromexcel) and the colors I wanted to use, the sales agent said they would send me out a sample packet to my provided address. I'm excited to see their leathers :)

Oh, that's great. Did you send it directly to Horween or to Tannery Row?

Went to their website and under the contact button is this #

(773) 772-2026

Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing what else you make. I like the black leather bag. It looks very solid. Is it 16 oz? It looks ridiculously thick.

Thanks for the info on Horween - I was just considering asking them for samples as well.

The mini toiletry bag is made from 9-10oz but it is a 1pc construction that is held together with copper rivets and post screws. The sides overlap and the bottom folds up to make a tight case that is strong to hold glass and other bottles for travel.

Nice work. that first is a monster!

I got some Horween swatch samples. They mail them out free - just ask.

post-43646-0-43623700-1412479638_thumb.j

Edited by thefanninator

They look great and very durable. My only comment is with regards to the third picture. I noticed you stitched across the leather handle straps. I would not have done that because it creates a perfourated line in the strap which could be a possible point of weakness if the straps are flexed over time. The vertical and lower stitching, and the rivet looks very sturdy and would be more than adequate. Just my opinion.

Nice work. that first is a monster!

I got some Horween swatch samples. They mail them out free - just ask.

I already got my samples :) they have some amazing Chromexcels!

They look great and very durable. My only comment is with regards to the third picture. I noticed you stitched across the leather handle straps. I would not have done that because it creates a perfourated line in the strap which could be a possible point of weakness if the straps are flexed over time. The vertical and lower stitching, and the rivet looks very sturdy and would be more than adequate. Just my opinion.

Thanks! I really did not see the harm since it is nearly 12oz strapping, thanks for the advice though!

Nice work, kinda raw and down to earth, like that....leather is a simple product and sometimes it makes sense to create simple things from it....

Looks like your bags will last for ever....U need to slow down on that maple leave stamped all over your stuff....hahaha...

Great work, show us some more !!!

Jimboob

Nice work, kinda raw and down to earth, like that....leather is a simple product and sometimes it makes sense to create simple things from it....

Looks like your bags will last for ever....U need to slow down on that maple leave stamped all over your stuff....hahaha...

Great work, show us some more !!!

Jimboob

Thanks, Jim I am VERY attracted to the rustic nature of leather I feel everyone has a attraction to difference styles, I like for my goods to last for a lifetime and become that eye catching thing in an outfit. I started my company to provide such items made from USA leather and attention to detail yet hold that handcrafted look. Maple leaf stays, I love it ;)

Black suede lined wristlet

14643944183_d0753162ab_b.jpg

14643942583_7ca6a2e42f_b.jpg

I make these copper buckles myself on an anvil, the tongues are rolled copper then the seam is ground and polished out.

14423346112_b7132bae57_b.jpg

14271034976_6f359e962b_b.jpg

Pig lined sheath

14231330942_6de2a1e98c_b.jpg

14231966554_8d9a8453b9_b.jpg

Know how hard it is to find Roman style sandals in a size 14 W? so I made my own ;)

14228880981_c7db1b6743_b.jpg

14209027676_60fd4fdbce_b.jpg

I have removed the 'BWeiss' from my goods and went with just the leaf as my labeling.

12975667134_7087725759_b.jpg

Edited by BWeiss

First satchel I ever made:

1pc construction using copper rivets, it is my personal bag and I know it is simple...I LOVE simple(is draws attention to details)

Yes, this is me:

11195593766_6e3c36093e_b.jpg

11195602384_b125772c93_b.jpg

Edited by BWeiss

Second satchel:

11360287776_d3e26b3019_b.jpg

11360234415_41ceb09f76_b.jpg

Some people don't get my styling, some people do...that is all that matters when making functional art. I design and make all my own patterns, I learn something new everyday and that is what I strive for, to better myself and provide down to earth, well made goods that won't fall apart.

Well, you certainly have a certain blatant, down to earth, aggressive style going. Your stuff is easily recognizable and chunky, which is cool. I like the 2nd satchel best out of everything I've seen so far. Where did you get the buckle? Your watch straps and wallets are quite decent, but they'll look more professional with a smaller thread. Otherwise, you should avoid stitching across the strap like you did on the belts and bag straps - it acts like tear perforations and weakens the leather.

Anyway, it's fun to see what you've been making. Thanks for posting!

Well, you certainly have a certain blatant, down to earth, aggressive style going. Your stuff is easily recognizable and chunky, which is cool. I like the 2nd satchel best out of everything I've seen so far. Where did you get the buckle? Your watch straps and wallets are quite decent, but they'll look more professional with a smaller thread. Otherwise, you should avoid stitching across the strap like you did on the belts and bag straps - it acts like tear perforations and weakens the leather.

Anyway, it's fun to see what you've been making. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, I got the buckle from a leather shop close out; they repaired/made horse harnesses and those buckles were used for show on large pulling setups or something(seller told what they were used for, but forgot). They are HEAVY solid brass, I have a bunch left over if you want to grab one for yourself :)

Good point on the stitching, I'll switch to a smaller count of holes to stitch the buckles in place. Personally, I can only see them ever failing from poor care of the leather(drying out), I included care instructions and have seen updates from them and they have been following my instructions well. As you can see on my new satchel, I did not stitch the supports because of that, I never thought otherwise with belts due to how thick they are(15oz). I use a 4 hole 3mm spacing pricking fork.

As for the wallet stitching; I JUST found out about tiger thread a bit ago, I am really loving it! My goods are COMPLETELY custom order to customer's desires! They pick color stain and thread! So if you see that it is from the customer picking it, I have over 13 colors of bonded t69 nylon and now two colors of tiger thread and time and time again the less professional chunky thread is requested. I am not sure how it looks unprofessional, stitching is straight and none of the threads are passed over or split, YES they are chunky right now, but once broken in they lay flat and turn a silver color due to the wax being rubbed off.

Here is another satchel that came after the one you liked, it was designed for a male customer and built to his personal desires:

Edited by BWeiss

Here is my third ever satchel, both this one and the second one have internal pockets.

11538671533_a6a56a5f56_b.jpg

11538693903_43f9008f19_b.jpg

Here is some bonded T69 thread and tiger thread with over locking knots.

13097734354_f043f820c4_b.jpg

Two tone green with black rub layering, finished in silver bonded T69

15485059431_9dff0535da_b.jpg

15301574008_8bcc04ecfc_b.jpg

1mm Tiger thread using an over locking knot:

Red chromexcel with natural card slots.

15485063501_8e63fb888a_b.jpg

15301319779_65284da1b2_b.jpg

My sister LOVES wide and chunky style, I picked up this solid brass owl head buckle and went with a 8oz strap to make it easy to pass through loops.*She LOVES copper rivets, she handed out a stack of my business cards from all the attention she got with it on a single weekend. The floating keeper has copper folded and passed through the oil-tanned body, did I mention she loves copper? haha

15487857102_cd517db2fa_b.jpg

15485068301_de8f96164a_b.jpg

Edited by BWeiss

I like that satchel as well. Very nice! How much for a couple of the buckles?

I had looked at your facebook, and I really like the decorative cut on the inside of the wallet. Very nice accent. Also, those watch bands look nice! I don't have any experience with making those, myself.

As for the chunkier thread, the customer is always right, I guess!

I like that satchel as well. Very nice! How much for a couple of the buckles?

I had looked at your facebook, and I really like the decorative cut on the inside of the wallet. Very nice accent. Also, those watch bands look nice! I don't have any experience with making those, myself.

As for the chunkier thread, the customer is always right, I guess!

I sent you a message about the buckles.

Also, I think I mentioned and I am contractor...yeah I LOVE infusing wood elements into my bags ;)

Hard maple spines are in my messenger bag and on BOTH in internals of the tote bag.

12975195935_5de15be62a_b.jpg

12975657394_4e4cdc3024_b.jpg

I had this messenger bag sold THEN the local customer backed out once it was half way completed...that is why I now take full payments on custom bag orders haha.

12975357993_871138c8ae_b.jpg

12779177935_19d22a7ffc_b.jpg

BWiess, don't change a thing (except stitching across straps). Personally, I love your style.

I also love your use of copper rivets. I think they look great on your bags and obviously they will hold forever. I do have a technical question about how you set them, though. Those rivets at the bottom of your bags must be hard to get at. Do you have a section of railroad track or other custom anvil that extends to the inside of the bag? If so, it must either be placed inside the bag in its entirety or be cantilevered off your bench. Or, maybe it's the horn on a blacksmith's anvil? I'm quite interested in any details you can provide.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Michelle

Wood inserts are an awesome idea! Especially for totes. My husband makes mandolins, and he's been trying to figure out a way for me to include wood. I have a few ideas that I will hopefully be able to get to eventually!

Again, simple is often more then all this "Sissy carving floral all shiny leather crafter stuff"....and YES I 've been doing it too....

Love the bag, it says: I am here to stay, dont mess with me and honest people only....sort of earthy, clean....what can I say...I like it !!!