immiketoo

Basic Saddle Stitch Tutorial By Nigel Armitage

Through the wonders of the internet and what I call internetworking, we have a series of videos made by LW member Nigel Armitage for another member. There have been a LOT of questions about the basics of hand stitching and I thought the entire site could benefit from Nigel's expertise. Take a look at his work and his other videos to see why I am impressed with his work. Thanks Nigel for taking the time to create these videos and I am looking forward to the next installment!

http://youtu.be/zeQt-nvLWyo

http://youtu.be/xS1j_Uifmhw

Edited by immiketoo

I'll be checking these out when I'm not at work... for some reason the boss has issues with me "goofing" around on the interwebernet while on his dime :(

Horn

Thanks iammiketoo, and i sincerely apologies for the over use of the words 'Tug' and 'Pop'

These were pitched at someone on here who needed a little help.

It is a very basic idea of stitching and leaves out a few of the complex moves often used.

If it is helpful, i'll redo it with a bit more detail and include the whys and wherefores.

Nigel

Nigel, a lot of us are curious about the knot you put in your stitch. Maybe that could be next?

for any Australians looking for the braided thread mentioned (polyester in this case not nylon) http://mrecht.com.au/products-categories/thread/

Brilliant Nigel, thanks for sharing your knowlegde & thanks Mike for posting.

Thank you, so much, Nigel! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into these videos.

Thanks for the instruction. But aren't you left handed? Sheesh! I hand stitch, but I wonder if those watching are grasping how difficult it it to 'switch hit' with an awl (in fact, for those reading this, try it!).

Very USEFUL information -- thanks AGAIN.

Nigel, a lot of us are curious about the knot you put in your stitch. Maybe that could be next?

Not a problem Mike, this is not in this video as I just wanted to cover the basics.

The knot it an overhand knot for those ex scouts out there.

Leave it with me.

Nige

Nigel, this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I have two questions.

You mentioned 45 degrees. Is that the angle of the stabbing to the face of the leather along the stitch line?

My second question is whether the UK will take back Piers Morgan. He's become quite obnoxious.

Thanks for the instruction. But aren't you left handed? Sheesh! I hand stitch, but I wonder if those watching are grasping how difficult it it to 'switch hit' with an awl (in fact, for those reading this, try it!).

Very USEFUL information -- thanks AGAIN.

Your welcome JLS and yes... I am left handed. Sometimes you need to switch on larger items. The brain fights back a bit, but it worked out ok I think.

Nigel

Nigel, this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I have two questions.

You mentioned 45 degrees. Is that the angle of the stabbing to the face of the leather along the stitch line?

My second question is whether the UK will take back Piers Morgan. He's become quite obnoxious.

Hi TwoMikes, Yes the 45 degree is in relation to the angle of the hole much like this, / / / / but at 45!

The stitch then runs from the top of the first hole to the bottom of the next and this will angle the stitching, much like what you can see here WoodloreCrossDraw3.jpg

As for Piers Morgan... Is he not applying for citizenship? ;-)

Nige

Great videos Nigel! Thanks for taking the time to make them and thank you Mikey2 for posting. Answers a few questions for me. :)

I watched you videos again and kept thinking do I do that? So I got some stitching sorted to do & guess what....yes I do, its so funny watching you do things slowly that I do without thinking. I have a few differing opinions but thats just personal preferences.

Thanks again you did a wonderful job. (& IMHO your voice sounds fine :) )

I watched you videos again and kept thinking do I do that? So I got some stitching sorted to do & guess what....yes I do, its so funny watching you do things slowly that I do without thinking. I have a few differing opinions but thats just personal preferences.

Thanks again you did a wonderful job. (& IMHO your voice sounds fine :) )

Thank you Jax, there are a number of ways to stitch, awl to the front with first needle from the back, awl and first needle from the front, stitch wheel and make the holes with the awl as you stitch, pricking iron which makes the hole first, then awl and stitch, with a lock, without.

I shall have to cover them all at some point, I've tried to keep it simple to start with.

I'm building up quite a list on the to do side.

Nige

really useful videos Nigel. Thanks! And there's nowt wrong with a northern accent!

I do have one question thats been bugging me since i watched the videos (and its probably a dumb beginners question) - why use the awl if you have already bashed the holes through with the Pricking Iron?

adam

Hi Adam and thanks, mate, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

The pricking iron cuts a very fine series of slots in the leather, not big enough to run a stitch through, especially not two, so the awl is used to open the holes to allow for this, keep checking back on the channel, I'm doing a video of how it's traditionally done.

Most of my videos are pitched towards people's specific questions, so I thought I'd do a fresh look at what I do.

Nige

ahh, right. That must be the difference between a quality Iron like yours or the cheapo i bought which seems to whack substantial slots into the leather! I'm still getting the 6 stitches per inch, but its quite easy to push the needles through at the same time without any extra awl work. I spent some time honing each tine on the iron this weekend but have yet to see if that improves its handling any.

Really impressed with your Log Stitching Pony...is it your own design? care to show it off a little?

Finally, curiosity forces me to ask where you buy your veg-tan, as its not the easiest stuff to source in the UK?

regards

Adam

Cant wait for the next one Nigel :)

great videos ;)

Really impressed with your Log Stitching Pony...is it your own design? care to show it off a little?

Finally, curiosity forces me to ask where you buy your veg-tan, as its not the easiest stuff to source in the UK?

regards

Adam

Cheers Adam, hers are a couple of snaps of the log, it's not a new idea, I stole if from someone who in turn stole it from someone else, it's just a log with the pony strapped to it, I spend a lot of time at this so I thought I'd make it it's own tool belt, it's just slots and loops so is fully adjustable for all my tools.

Log_zps9773ccfb.jpg

Log2_zps45e842da.jpg

As for the Veg-Tan, try these, a few links I think you will find useful, I have used them all and have not had a problem with any of them although i have not had any leather from Tandy.

Metropolitan Leather http://www.metropolitanleather.com/

Abbey England http://www.abbeyengland.com/en-us/home.aspx

J & FJ Baker http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/

you also have LePrevo http://www.leprevo.co.uk/ and Tandy http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/home.aspx

Hope that helps.

Nigel

thanks Nigel for the links ;)

i will have a look at it ;)

might be less trouble than ordering from France than the USA ;)

Thanks Nigel, wasn't aware of the first three suppliers! Typical though, before i ever got into leather (ooh err!) I love less than a mile from Abbey, now they're 30 miles away.

Is the leather strap with the hinge how you achieve the tension on your pony?

Promise i'll stop bugging now!

adam

thanks Nigel for the links ;)

i will have a look at it ;)

might be less trouble than ordering from France than the USA ;)

Aurelie, there is a Tandy in Jerez Spain as well as the UK, might be worth checking out which is cheaper on shipping.

Germany do some excellent leather, as do Italy! All cheaper than getting from the US.

I'm sure there will be outlets in France but a bit of time searching might be needed.

If you find an outlet, let me know.

Love your work by the way.

Nigel