MooksWilson

Burnished Edges With Colored Stripes

sign-2-700x400.jpeg

Any idea how they are achieving this edge work? Curious how they achieved the colored stripes as well as the super glossy finish.

sign-2-700x400.jpeg

Any idea how they are achieving this edge work? Curious how they achieved the colored stripes as well as the super glossy finish.

although I'm no expert, my guess is that there is some sort of lining material like a pigskin in between the layers of leather...

here's my experience with edges...the more time you take with them, the better they look...what I mean, is that if you want glassy edges like that, you must be willing to spend some time going over the edges with a few different grits of sandpaper...I even edges out with 220 grit on a dremel, then I go over the edges with 400, then 600, then 1000....don't go to the next grit until the current grit you are using has "cut" the entire edge, and sand in one direction only.....after finishing with 1000 grit, I dye the edges. I take a Q tip and dip it into some dye, then roll the dye onto the edge....don't soak the edge, just coat it...then I'll take a piece of old denim and slick the edge in one direction with it until it shines. After, you can slick some saddle soap onto the edge, and repeat with the denim. To seal the edges, you can use a light coat of resolene cut 50:50....after the resolene dries, hit the edges with the wood slicker. Resolene will harden and seal the edge and help lay down any loose fibers....don't apply it to thick though, otherwise if the edge bend you will have a cracked plastic looking edge. The key with resolene is cutting it about 50:50 with water....comes out to thick straight from the bottle.

just my process, patience is the key to good edges...hope this helps :)

Is it just me or does that look like three or four thin-ish layers of veg-tan leather with a thin top layer of chrome tanned leather? Look at the apex of the corner. It also looks a little like it was edged before the top layer of leather was added... 'because that top layer doesn't seem rounded on it's edge. Also (JMHO), I've never seen an edge quite that glossy before - so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something more than just doing extra steps of the usual sand,buff and wax. I'm guessing some kind of flexible varnish or something. I could be totally wrong of course - the pictures are only hard to go by.

Doug C

Thanks for the responses guys. TheKid, our edge burnishing methods are actually quite similar aside from your attention to detail and the staggered sandpaper approach which is something I will definitely try out. Thank you for that write up.

The only thing I can think of is that the edge of each piece is dyed a different color prior to being stitched together. As for the finish, that is definitely the glossiest edge I've ever seen.

i just tried the sand paper way its nice faster polishing ..its a keeper! thanks

Actually Doug is on to something. Think these are the actual colors of leather these folks used, the black may be a stabilizer that you would normally have hidden. It is probably a build up clear coat product, what brand I have no idea, may be something proprietary even. Like the edge products the handbag companies use on/in some of their designs. As for the top layer, it looks like it was run through a skiver and turned under, then sewn on after it was finished. But like he says, pictures are hard to figure out.

I'd try multiple coats some of that Fenice clear finish with intermediate polishing.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit