glue lining to body.......................trim lining

b11.jpg..........b12.jpg

pieces ready to be sewn..................sewn

b13.jpg..........b14.jpg

30 inch long piece of lambskin

b15.jpg..........b16.jpg

....................................................seam tape around edges

b17.jpg..........b18.jpg

.................................................ready to trim off excess. sorry no pics

..................................................of trimming, but i only have 2 hands.

...................................................I use a blade (straight razor) a hair stylist friend of mine

....................................................gave me (way sharp)

brown_distressed.jpg

brown_distressed_detach.jpg

brown_distressed_inside.jpg

post-3955-1192593982_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192593997_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594007_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594032_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594043_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594054_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594067_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594081_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594095_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594109_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594118_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594132_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594143_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594153_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594164_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594175_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594187_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594201_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594217_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594233_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1192594251_thumb.jpg

Hey Kevin,

How about a short narrative about doing the insides. Are the edges covered or just sewn? Great wallet in every way.

Jim

Kevin,

Just a great tutorial and finished product. Lots of great pic's. I never thought of using seam tape with the soft lamb.

Thank you very much for taking time to produce this and sharing. I'll start one today for my daughter as I think I have everything here.

nice wallet and like the lining, great run through thanks, Don

how thick is the leather?

Edited by Don101

Soooo ,That is how you did it I really like the bound edge.

Neat & Clean....Keep em comming

That's a fantastic tutorial, Kevin. :thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to put that together and post it. The way you bind your edges is absolutely ingenious. That, combined with your fabric lining and your unique design, really give your wallets a distinctive look.

-Alex

Thanks Kevin - very instructive. Never having had the opp to take a sewing class I am generally amazed at the tricks to make things like this work - really great of you to share - thanks so much!!!

steveb

I'm really liking your work, Kevin...I agree...distinctive. Thanks for putting together that how-to...very helpful. Do you have a preferred source for your leather? I don't know anything about sewing machines, but is a Singer or something similar adequate for sewing the insides?

--Phil

Ahhh... I thought those looked like french rolls you were doing around the edges. Nice touch.

Kate

Very nice !! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

what type and size leather are you using ??

You know, there have been several recent posts about folks using "ugly" leather. Up to this point, I've always used the best parts of the hide for my projects and the ugly parts for tooling or dyeing practice. But I'm beginning to reconsider... :)

I think Kate mentioned some time ago that she prefers leather with creases or stretch marks, and I think Kevin just proved that with a little creativity and a nice finish, even the most unsightly piece of hide can be transformed into something beautiful. I think woodworkers have been doing this for some time, incorporating knots and other surface defects into their works to add more visual interest...

Alex

Well, Kevin, that's one of the coolest ways of making a wallet I've ever seen! Thank you very much for taking the time to show us how you do it. I was curious how you put together that neat, bound edge; now I think I know. . . :) It's fascinating how you give the long pockets such a clean edge too (hidden stitches, not just glue).

I have a question: how did you put the snaps on after sewing in the pockets?! Also, what leather do you use for the pockets?

Thanks again; you did a great job on all of it!

L'Bum

Very nice looking piece of crappy leather. I think the crappy leather makes the project.

Any chance on getting dimensions of pieces cut? I'd love to make one of these.

that is a terrific wallet. great instruction too!

I like the way you finished the edge,, I have used seamers tape on garment to save from using pine,, great stuff,, Thanks

" crappiest piece of leather"

you can take any bad/ ugly piece of fabric/ leather and make something out of it...but it takes the work of art and the good skilled person that can make the worst piece of something and turn it into a beautiful product etc

thanks for showing how to put this item together with your easy understanding diagrams etc

Lea

Thanks for sharing this information. I don't do mine the same way but it helped me get started.

Edited by bikerbronco

well now I feel inspired! forget the edging. dont stitch the tops of each card holder side. add a flap down the side under one of the flaps with holes in it to hold the extra keys to the trucks and car! I lock my keys in the truck a lot.......... I aint into purty sew this is right up may way! LOL

well now I feel inspired! forget the edging. dont stitch the tops of each card holder side. add a flap down the side under one of the flaps with holes in it to hold the extra keys to the trucks and car! I lock my keys in the truck a lot.......... I aint into purty sew this is right up may way! LOL

Would like to know the dimensions of the pieces, and the weight of leather, great tut!

Kevin,

Great post, I used it to make a wallet awhile back, was too busy to post then, so the wallet has a few miles on it in the pictures. Just wanted to share and say thanks. I used two stingray skins and a scrap of leather I found in the trash at my local Tandy. The inside is pig skin. If I had it to do over I would not align the pockets on both sides as it creates bulk in the middle. I have no sewing machine so I had to do it by hand.

post-16317-053647000 1320376318_thumb.jppost-16317-026796500 1320376337_thumb.jppost-16317-077954100 1320376356_thumb.jp

Kevin,

How about more detail of the way that you form the pockets. I am somewhat confused.

Larry Vroom

Kevin isn't here as much as he used to be, but I'll try to help out.

Each pocket flap is made from a single piece that's been folded over, then the individual pieces are sewn to a single long piece (I'll call it the pocket flap). That creates the section seen in the 6th picture. A second long piece is lined up over the 'pockets' with the grain sides facing each other...then it's sewn along the 'inside'. That second long piece is then folded around the back of the pocket flap and glued down to make the finished edge that will be towards the center of the wallet. That creates one complete pocket section. Each pocket section (left and right) is sewn around the top, bottom, and outside edge...BUT NOT THE MIDDLE. The middle (where you have that finished edge from that folded piece) forms the interior pocket.

I really enjoyed your tutorial and design! had to give your method of rolled edges a try. looks so clean! made my lady this little side purse. Thanks for the inspiration!

photo2.jpg

Thanx Kevin, your Tutorial is fantastic, and your crappy leather is just what others have said "Character"

I especially like your clean and distinct lines. I appreciate your taking the time to do this.

Don't know how long this has been posted , Im just getting a special look, Again, Thanx; Bill46