Sign in to follow this  
jamzdean

A question of lighting

I have to do my leather at night like most, I guess. I was just wondering what kind of lighting most people used incandiscent causes shadows florescent doesn't seem bright enough...I have old eyes. You may think this a silly question but...

A few lamps closer to your work area will brighten things up. I use a standard old table lamp with one of the screw in flourescent bulbs. They are available in different colors (bright white, soft white, etc OR numbers like 3500k/sp35/835, 4100k/sp41/841. The color is based on Kelvin temps, so the higher the K number, the whiter the light will be.)

If shadow is still an issue, you might try bouncing the light ( not the fixture or the bulb) off the wall to illuminate you area.

I have to do my leather at night like most, I guess. I was just wondering what kind of lighting most people used incandiscent causes shadows florescent doesn't seem bright enough...I have old eyes. You may think this a silly question but...

Not a silly question at all. I currently have a centre room light and no less than nine anglepoise style lights in my workroom supplemented by three additional flourescent lights over critical areas (sewing machines and tooling bench). I still find myself struggling sometimes and have had to resport to getting a special pair of glasses made for very close work like threading needles and fine tooling. I'm fascinated to hear what advice people might offer!

I like the combo art lamps that use a daylight circline 22 watt fluorescent bulb and a 75 watt incandescent bulb. I certainly do know your concern with lighting, which is why I have been so persistent in trying to repair two of my lamps, which on the whole are quite well constructed but for one 25-cent part.

ed

So if I am understanding this "more is better"... I am not familiar with the Art-combo light, it sounds interesting..best of both types.

I wear a headlamp.

I added this to my Toro 4000-LA25 recently and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't speak highly enough about the quality of this light... just fabulous

38781-01-200.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17420

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I added this to my Toro 4000-LA25 recently and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't speak highly enough about the quality of this light... just fabulous

38781-01-200.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17420

I'll be keeping an eye out for these to go back on sale.

ed

I'll be keeping an eye out for these to go back on sale.

ed

Yep They are not cheap but they put out beautiful white light and in high volume. You might do a net search and see if anyone else has a sale on them.

Anyone use an OTT light? I've heard good things about them.

http://www.ottlite.com/

I have both the ottlight & the verilux (the kind Bree pictured) & I like & use them both at the same time. The ottlight is positioned over my tooling slab (it has a slightly better reach than the verilux) and the verilux is in another area that gets illuminated. Others here have criticized the ott, but both I use in conjunction with my wearable magnifier when doing tooling, so I'm working in close anyway. The illumination is even & the colors are true & undistorted, although I would wish that both would be a little more bright.

I got my Ott at Michaels for $25 (it was a clearance item that originally sold for about $150) & my Verilux came from an Ollies store for $29.95. It pays to shop around & look for clearance items.

I also have several lamps in different spots around my carving slab, in addition to a bright overhead light source. I find I still get shadows under my carving hand, so I place a really tall reading lamp behind my left shoulder (I'm right handed), and shine it towards my right hand. It reall helps eliminate the shadows created by my hand.

Now if only I could get some bifocals that I can actually see through...

I'm TRIPPIN' on the headlamp. I use one when working on my truck, and when working on wiring...now I'm gonna wear it at my sewing machine. Geeks rule!

Doug

I wear a headlamp.

I have 8 ft lights in my workshop. the bulbs I use are 5000K bulbs from Home Depot. 5000 and 5500 K are the closest to simulate daylight.

I'm TRIPPIN' on the headlamp. I use one when working on my truck, and when working on wiring...now I'm gonna wear it at my sewing machine. Geeks rule!

Doug

I actually got them for camping -- setting up in the dark sucks when all you have is the headlights of your truck.

I'm a very habit-driven person. I work better with audiobooks playing and the headlamp on my head these days.

Edited by tashabear