Tallbald

I Want To Buy A Good Rotary Hole Punch. What To Lok For Please?

I will be making collars, strapping, and riveted items so I suppose it's time to consider buying a hole punch. But with prices from $4 to over $50, the spectrum of choices is broad. What makes a "good" and worthwhile hole punch? I'd like to choose based on some criteria and not just equating a higher price with higher quality. Specific brands might be good information too. Thanks all. Don.

Just saw my missed letter in "look" in the title, but cannot edit it. Sorry. Don

Edited by Tallbald

I have the high-end punch from Tandy and it's a workhorse. It has replaceable punches.

I hated spending that much money on a punch, but after 2 of the $12 punches falling apart in short order, it proved to be more economical to buy the better tool.. as usual.

Check their flyer. Lots of stuff on sale this weekend

Try to get a solid frame model with replacable tubes. I've lost count of how many of the lightweight press formed ones I have seen that are warped and twisted out of alignment. The replaceable tubes are not only best because it is easier to change a damaged, or split one.....but it is also a damn sight easier to properly sharpen one that you can remove from the tool.

Speaking of sharpening the tubes, it is not a good idea to over sharpen the tubes, nor to make the cutting edge too much like a knife edge. You want something more like the edge on an axe...that is a thicker sturdy edge. If the edge is too weak, then over time as you use it....it will be more likely to curl over from repeated contact with the anvil and will cut poorly if at all. Also, the tube, being weaker, is more likely to split. Also, a very good practice to get into ........is to press the tube into some beeswax before use, and to clear the tubes of cuttings when you are done.

Prices seem to vary a lot on this type of hole punch from well over $100 for the Osbourne TL1 model......... to $60 for the Tandy model and ..........down even lower to ...............$41.21 at theoriginalhorsetackcompany.com and................. way down to $24.99 at SSTACK.com. As always - You should check out their shipping charges before ordering.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of differance between them, that is, judging from the pictures. I do note that the Osbourne model does have a copper anvil while the others seem to have a brass one. A copper anvil, being softer, would be easier on the tubes, but may need to be replaced more often.. Of course, one could always change out the brass anvil on the other for a copper one if he really felt sorry for the tubes ! LOL

All good advice, plus one more tip. When you are punching try to get a little "twist" as you squeeze and it normally will take less effort with the slicing action. It took a guy watching me work at it to show me the easier way.

Excellent and helpful responses. Tractor Supply has a solid handle version with what look like flats on the punch tube inserts for removing. It's right at $26. I'l call them to see if it's in stock. Thanks, Don

Thanks all for the input. Tractor Supply has a solid handle model with brass looking anvil and what appear to be removable punch tubes for right at $28. Might be a good compromise between the highest and lowest dollar tools. They have them in stock. I'll look it over soon. Don

Here's some that I've accumulated over the years...all from Tandy.....when the tubes get too dull, (or when I bottom one out on a hard surface) just replace them.

Changing them out in those all in one do-hickeys gets old real fast.

post-4803-0-20168300-1397074825_thumb.jp

Edited by Rayban

If you get lucky, you may find a used Sargent & Co. set on ebay or other used tool sites. They are strong and are the only ones I have ever seen with paralell jaws, allowing for straight holes in thick leather. Also I use a piece of scrap on top of the anvil side to protect the tubes. It makes for a clean cut every time, with no need to twist to get it to cut clean.I have had the same set for 25 yrs, and haven't had to replace or even resharpen them. Gump.

Yup.......thats the very type that I was talking about. I have seen a bunch of those over the years that twisted/warped so that they wouldn't punch a decent hole anymore

Yup.......thats the very type that I was talking about. I have seen a bunch of those over the years that twisted/warped so that they wouldn't punch a decent hole anymore

I believe those are the kind you have for an emergency "gotta punch a hole" situation, but if you're punching holes every day, like for making belts, etc......not so good, IMO.

After going through several different cheaper ones, I bit the bullet and bought the Osborn No. 155 mainly for both replaceable tubes and solid steel handle. It had one more advantage over the others I didn't realize until I used it. Longer handle which gave more leverage and made punching easier in thick hard leather. I also have a set of hammer punches, but really only use them when the throat on the Osborn is too shallow.

At $2-3 a tube(replaced 1 tube in 4 years) I dont even bother trying to sharpen them. If it isnt exactly even on the edge you end up with in incomplete hole

+1 for the Osborne 155. You may have to sharpen a few tubes before use though. Also the K157 mini punch set is handy, I turned the handle down on mine to fit into the chuck on a cheapo table top drill press I wasn't using.

Also the K157 mini punch set is handy, I turned the handle down on mine to fit into the chuck on a cheapo table top drill press I wasn't using.

LOL, great idea. Punch and burnish in one easy step. Dont miss your mark though. ;)

I couldn't make the plunge for an Osborne rotary punch so I bought one by Heritage. It has a "compound" action making it easier to deal with thicker leather. Though the punch tube are not replaceable, it cost me about 1/3 of what the Osborne would have. Works just fine for me. :)

Michelle

SilverBear, I hope you have considerable hand strength. Those handles are mighty short. While they have different dies and punches, I doubt you will be able to buy the punches when they chip.

I couldn't make the plunge for an Osborne rotary punch so I bought one by Heritage. It has a "compound" action making it easier to deal with thicker leather. Though the punch tube are not replaceable, it cost me about 1/3 of what the Osborne would have. Works just fine for me. :)

Michelle

Finally !

I have been waiting for someone to mention the compound action hole rotary punches. I have never owned one but I do have pliars and cutters that use the same type of action in my shop. So I know that they markedly increase the pressure one is able to bring to bear on the task This may be a very important consideration for those who do not have strong hands.

That same engineering that makes them easier to punch with also redistributes the stresses and should make their frame less likely to twist or warp like the economy type punches often do.

post-13007-0-73409400-1397589133_thumb.j

The hand strength should not be an issue since those are a compound action type that require much less closing pressure.

What may be an issue is the throat depth.

It looks to me like the tool also has some dies to set eyelets and some types of snaps/rivets which is a plus if you don't already have such tools. Also a plus for inclusion in a travel set for jobs away from home.

While the quality of the steel in the tubes may be an issue: I would not be surprised if tubes from other metric/foreign hole punches will also fit this tool. And like you may have noticed, they have invaded the leather tool section on eBay in a major way !