jbrana

Rawhiders! Maybe I Should Say Quirters

Calling back on my fading memory, I wanted to make a quirt like my father had and I used when I was a boy until an uncle "borrowed" it and I never saw it again. It was different from any others I had seen (like I had seen a lot at that age) but now I realize that it wasn't plaited, but a rawhide twist of many strands which lay very flat, tapered around a core and also loaded with shot. Gaucho knot on top, rawhide wrist strap, and a loop at the bottom for lashes. I believe it had a ring knot below the handle. I didn't see many on my search of the site, SO, has anyone seen a critter of this sort? I can see it now but don't know if I'm describing it where anyone else can!

By the way, Howdy, I'm new here and looking for to "soaking" up knowledge before you run me thru the splitter!

I haven't seen one like that but you might post this in the braiding forum

jbrana

The quirt you described sound very much like one that the Mexican charros use. It is a rawhide twist of about 1 in. folded back on itself with leather falls of about 3/4 in. You may find one if you google mexican charro.