leathertoolz

C.s. Osborne Round/head Knife Stamp Order?

Hello.

I need a help from tool gurus here in the forum.

I googled to find a history about C.S. Osborne Round/Head stamp order.

I believe they started 1826. and their stamps have been changed since that time.

Is there anyone who can tell me every stamp on the Round/Head knife in chronicle order?

As far as I know,

Half Round stamp on front and EST.1826 in a box is their first stamp and probably the oldest.

Just curious if you've tried calling Osborne?

Joseph English started making tools in about 1826. There are English tools marked only in his name and some marked in partnerships with other tool makers. He sold to Wm Dodd in 1856. Some say sold, and at least one respected source says that English died in 1856 and Dodd took over. CS Osborne was either brother-in-law or son-in-law to Wm Dodd depending on source. Sometime after 1858 Dodd sold to CS Osborne. Even though the lineage of tool making goes back to 1826, CS Osborne was no part of it until at least 30+ years and two owners later.

As far as I can tell from most people who have tried to research this, there is no definite lineage of markings either. They may have been variously reused at times to keep things fresh. They added the star mark at one point for a while, usually attributed to the later 1880s-1890 something. The Osborne company was good at marketing. The corporate address changed from Newark to Harrison NJ in about 1906. The knife was part of their trademark and logo, on all their stationary,etc. - "corporate branding" if you will. They may have continued to mark the knives with the Newark stamp up until as late as the World War One.

Just curious if you've tried calling Osborne?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I sent them a e-mail about the knives I have and There is no answer.

I might try to call them.

Joseph English started making tools in about 1826. There are English tools marked only in his name and some marked in partnerships with other tool makers. He sold to Wm Dodd in 1856. Some say sold, and at least one respected source says that English died in 1856 and Dodd took over. CS Osborne was either brother-in-law or son-in-law to Wm Dodd depending on source. Sometime after 1858 Dodd sold to CS Osborne. Even though the lineage of tool making goes back to 1826, CS Osborne was no part of it until at least 30+ years and two owners later.

As far as I can tell from most people who have tried to research this, there is no definite lineage of markings either. They may have been variously reused at times to keep things fresh. They added the star mark at one point for a while, usually attributed to the later 1880s-1890 something. The Osborne company was good at marketing. The corporate address changed from Newark to Harrison NJ in about 1906. The knife was part of their trademark and logo, on all their stationary,etc. - "corporate branding" if you will. They may have continued to mark the knives with the Newark stamp up until as late as the World War One.

Thank you Mr. Johnson for such a good explanation.

I wish there were written history about tool markings. I would love to here those stories.