Sign in to follow this  
CountryStyle

Border Tool For The Poor

post-32293-096922400 1343839408_thumb.jpHello everyone,

Well as usual I am trying to find ways to improve my work without spending money (because I have none). Was trying to figure out a way to make a nice straight border on my belt without buying a tool, so I found a cheapo wrench out in my garage and was able to make a straight border line with it. I plan on cutting it with my swivel knife and then beveling it. We shall see how it turns out, but I think it will be ok.

Any other ideas on how to do borders with household things?

post-32293-040948200 1343839407_thumb.jp

If you have a grinder and some files you could cut down one side of your wrench to make it do all the cutting at once. A lot of times I fine my bead work like that looks better with a slight opening up of the cut line or a light double-bevel then it does with a full bevel job.

Thanks Cyberthrasher. I think I might try sharpening one end of it, but I don't have a grinder so it might take me forever. Who knows, I'll give it a shot! What do you mean by light double-bevel?

Hi CountryStyle,

If you have a drawing compass in the house (say the kids old school supplies) you could replace the pencil part of it with a nail or something similar and use it the same way. I have a metal divider I got at Harbor Freight that I often use to scribe border lines.

Bob

Thanks Cyberthrasher. I think I might try sharpening one end of it, but I don't have a grinder so it might take me forever. Who knows, I'll give it a shot! What do you mean by light double-bevel?

double beveling is when you bevel both sides of the cut line. I like to do it lightly so I'm not actually depressing the leather as far as a normal beveling, just kind of opening up the line a little and giving it a nice rounded appearance.

here's an example of the tool that would normally be used to do it for some ideas.

http://springfieldleather.com/25330/Stamping-Tool%2CB997%2CBeveler/

I have took a bolt and filed it down a couple of times when i needed a special size beveler.

Be careful, CountryStyle... you'll end up being a tool maker. :)

Pretty good idea, actually. If you don't have a grinder use some metal files and/or a sharpening stone on the roughest side to help you grind that down. It will still take a while.

post-32293-096922400 1343839408_thumb.jpHello everyone,

Well as usual I am trying to find ways to improve my work without spending money (because I have none). Was trying to figure out a way to make a nice straight border on my belt without buying a tool, so I found a cheapo wrench out in my garage and was able to make a straight border line with it. I plan on cutting it with my swivel knife and then beveling it. We shall see how it turns out, but I think it will be ok.

Any other ideas on how to do borders with household things?

post-32293-040948200 1343839407_thumb.jp

Here is a thread that discusses making stamps: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10252&st=60. I have also attached some pages showing diffrent stamps made from bolts using files no grinder.

post-15001-025657900 1343863116_thumb.jp

post-15001-092354300 1343863232_thumb.jp

Edited by camano ridge

Hi CountryStyle,

If you have a drawing compass in the house (say the kids old school supplies) you could replace the pencil part of it with a nail or something similar and use it the same way. I have a metal divider I got at Harbor Freight that I often use to scribe border lines.

Bob

Bob, great Idea, I picked one up at The Home Depot for four dollars and change today! Thank you!

I have took a bolt and filed it down a couple of times when i needed a special size beveler.

Dirtclod, bought a bolt today and am going to give this a shot. Thanks!

Be careful, CountryStyle... you'll end up being a tool maker. :)

Pretty good idea, actually. If you don't have a grinder use some metal files and/or a sharpening stone on the roughest side to help you grind that down. It will still take a while.

Sylvia, I think its too late, bought a bunch of files and a big sharpening stone today.... Thank you for the advice!

Here is a thread that discusses making stamps: http://leatherworker...ic=10252&st=60. I have also attached some pages showing diffrent stamps made from bolts using files no grinder.

Camano ridge, those pages you posted about making stamps are fantastic information, thank you for posting those. I am going to try and make some today!

UPDATE: Ok so after filing/sharpening the wrench, it cuts like a dream. Just as good as a swivel knife! This is perfect for borders. UPDATE: Ok so after filing/sharpening the wrench, it cuts like a dream. Just as good as a swivel knife! This is perfect for borders.

Also, I made one of those fancy pants double bevelers from a stainless steel bolt. It works well, but could use some improvement.

I have attached some pictures for you all to see.

Homemade border tool, homemade beveler.

post-32293-043199600 1343938283_thumb.jppost-32293-092832800 1343938285_thumb.jppost-32293-087819200 1343938287_thumb.jppost-32293-067707900 1343938288_thumb.jppost-32293-010234000 1343938293_thumb.jppost-32293-013329300 1343938294_thumb.jppost-32293-079981600 1343938294_thumb.jppost-32293-031304800 1343938296_thumb.jppost-32293-098111000 1343938296_thumb.jp

WOW! Nice job... but for someone who didn't have any money you sure spent a lot of time!

I still go for the compass, ruler, protractor pack at the dollar store for $1.00. The compass will serve you better as an edge marker and it's adjustable. Mark it and use your swivel to cut it. Bevel with a tandy beveler stuck into a short dowel with a hole in it. It's my best and easiest push beveler.

pete

Hah, I'm off today, and my Home Depot card got a bit of a boost today... Didn't even think to look at the dollar store for a compass, thanks for the info Pete!

Here's a couple of tools I made about 35 years ago. They're made from 3" nails, by filing down the heads. The second picture is an example of the wheat ear that can be created. I still use these two tools regularly!

post-7199-044860200 1343949361_thumb.jpg

post-7199-065840600 1343949379_thumb.jpg

Celticleather, Thank you so much for posting those pictures!!! that is great information and I will probably make some of these on my next day off.

I love it when people post stuff like this to help others out!

Now you need to make a backgrounder!

Hey CountryStyle, nice work on the beveler. Your well on your way to becomming a tool maker!

Bob