Sign in to follow this  
pete

glue and stitching- a new discovery!!!

I've had my " shoe gum" erasure for years and have used it for everything from getting barge off my marble to cleaning my glue pot threads.

I made a little holster for my trim knife this morning and had to glue it to the very edges. Normally I would have glued it away from the edge and then burnished it.

I ran it along the edge and it took off all the glue seepage and it burnished great.

The reason that I am passing this along is that a week or so ago I was reading an inquiry here from a holster maker who had the same problem of gluing too close to the edge. The common response was to glue with enough leather to trim before stitching and burnishing.

The erasure "pulls" the glue from the seam and leaves no rubber thing-ies sticking out to ruin the burnishing.

Hope this helps someone!

pete

Thanks for the tip, Pete.

Sounds like something I could use for sure, But I have no idea what a shoe gum eraser is or where to find one?

If you could provide any further info, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

John

Thanks for the tip, Pete.

Sounds like something I could use for sure, But I have no idea what a shoe gum eraser is or where to find one?

If you could provide any further info, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

John

I got it from Springfield Leather but I think that even art stores sell them .They are erasures that look like the bottom of those shoes from the 70"s. Really dense and an amber color and HARD!

Lasts forever and you clean it by rubbing it on concrete!

Call Kevin at Springfield- he'll know exactly

800-668-8518

pete

I got it from Springfield Leather but I think that even art stores sell them .They are erasures that look like the bottom of those shoes from the 70"s. Really dense and an amber color and HARD!

Lasts forever and you clean it by rubbing it on concrete!

Call Kevin at Springfield- he'll know exactly

800-668-8518

pete

I've found some at Hobby Lobby as well.