SLudlow

Amazon-Based Tool & Supply Store

Merry Christmas!

I currently do a bit of resale in leather tools and supplies, and was looking at the possibility of opening an Amazon-based store to carry a wider inventory of tools, as well as sides/shoulders of various leathers. I'd use them for inventory management and shipping, so that folks could keep their own costs down.

Anyways, wanted to see if you folks would be interested in such a thing.

What we would carry:

- Tandy Tools

- Tandy Books & Patterns

- C.S. Osbourne Tools

- Weaver Tools

- Blanchard Tools

- new Tooling Stamps

- used Tooling Stamps

- Variety of thread (Incl. Ritza25)

- Misc Vintage Machines

- Sides & Shoulders (Horw, Oak, Mex Imp, Etc)

Think there would be a market for this sort of "one-stop-shop" place on Amazon?

I think it'd be better to also make/provide some things that aren't so generally available. Create a lower priced stitching clam, for example. Figure out how to produce pricking irons, etc...

I agree with Matt T. You need some reason for us to come to you rather then Tandy, Springfield, Zack White etc. Will you be able to sell for prices enough below theirs for us to give you our business. What about shipping some of the companies charge a fair amount of shipping yet they do quanity shipping and get bulk rates. Lat I bought a single shoulder shipping was $16.00 that was 1/3 of what the shoulder cost. I give you kudo's for your intent, however all the things you are going to offer are already availeble. You will need to answer the questions why do we want to buy from you?

Best of luck to you and I will definitely take a look at your store if you do set one up.

What I can provide is essentially much less expensive shipping. I can purchase wholesale, sell retail, and absorb within that margin a fair part of shipping costs.

Amazon will let me store my inventory at their warehouse (for a per-item fee that I pay), and when you order it they handle the packing and shipping much more quickly than I could as a small business.

So: If you order more than $35, your shipping is free. If you have Amazon Prime, you get further benefits.

Additionally, I would provide a wider variety of products than any single manufacturer at one online location where you already shop at for other things. You could, on a single site, compare Tandy/Springfield/Weaver #2 Edgers without having to navigate to three different sites and without the risk of having your CC information in three different places.

Finally, I could provide European goods that are hard to find here in the states, such as Tiger Thread, Blanchard tools, and other niche items.

Is that the sort of benefit you have in mind?

That's good, in theory...but I've been an Amazon Prime member for a few years and have noticed tgast items that are "fulfilled" by Amazon are often WAY overpriced so that they can offer "cheaper" shipping.

It used to sort of even out, but now that they apparently collect sales tax on ALL transactions, it's not really much of a bargain anymore at all.

...at least in my several years of experience on there...

I have also pretty much decided I will not be buying anymore Tandy products anymore.

Edited by TXAG

A one stop shop with quality goods would definitely be a good thing.

I just don't see why you want to do it through Amazon. Make your own store, meet with the suppliers (I'm sure many of them would be interested in working with you), find the gaps (what's missing on the market and a low-budget version isn't what's needed) and spread the word.

Thank you all for the advice!

Opening my own shop outside of Amazon wouldn't be too difficult. I'm just wanting to make sure that I can make shipping and processing of orders as painless for the purchaser as possible. They do have some nasty fees, including a 15% "referral fee" on some items that I'm trying to figure out how to get out of.

If you were to sell things that are eligible for shipping under Prime, well... I wouldn't neccessarily be inclined to use you for any of the things you list. I would be inclined to use you for things like misc hardware (rivets, chicago screws, buckles, Dees, etc), dyes/finishes, that sort of thing. Consumable supplies/hardware that I occasionally run out on inconveniently and where buying them from as a single item from Tandy or Springfield is a pain between the shipping cost and the shipping time when those small items are all I need. I love SLC, but if all I need is a small bag of rivets I can't stomach paying $30 or so for them once the shipping is factored in, and having to wait a week+ for them to be delivered.