steveb

journal cover prototype

well, i took some time this weekend to make myself a journal cover...for the moleskine journals i carry...something off the beaten trail stylistically for me..shake the tree a bit, ya know

i carry a book where ever i go at work and have been wanting to improve on my original, "a little too rough for prime time" cover (which didnt keep my from carrying to all my muy importante meetings , butt of course!!) - which got cut up to be added to the parts bin..whilst i was making this

anyway, i had a nice piece of leather which i believe came from Duane some 2 years or so ago - which fit the purpose perfect, lined it with a suede split thing i bought from god knows where...and used one of my signature birdcage snaps to keep the important papers under cover, and a scrap from a toolbag strap i made some while ago, skived down nice - kept my sewing nice and tight on the edge and the corners, used my econosew table machine and there ya have it

this one ready for prime time, ya think?

steveb

violation3__Medium_.jpgviolation2__Medium_.jpg

violation1__Medium_.jpgviolation4__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204405625_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204405665_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204405694_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204405764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduce attachment size

well, i took some time this weekend to make myself a journal cover...for the moleskine journals i carry...something off the beaten trail stylistically for me..shake the tree a bit, ya know

i carry a book where ever i go at work and have been wanting to improve on my original, "a little too rough for prime time" cover (which didnt keep my from carrying to all my muy importante meetings , butt of course!!) - which got cut up to be added to the parts bin..whilst i was making this

anyway, i had a nice piece of leather which i believe came from Duane some 2 years or so ago - which fit the purpose perfect, lined it with a suede split thing i bought from god knows where...and used one of my signature birdcage snaps to keep the important papers under cover, and a scrap from a toolbag strap i made some while ago, skived down nice - kept my sewing nice and tight on the edge and the corners, used my econosew table machine and there ya have it

this one ready for prime time, ya think?

steveb

I'd carry that anywhere Steve

Dave Theobald

Very nice. Clean, straight lines, nice colors, well done edges and tight stitching. WEll done, again very nice !!!

You had better watch out or you'll be making alot of those. Good work. What type of snap is that?

Steve, What you call a "rut" for me would be a "creative spurt"! :spoton: As always Beautiful!

Steve, What you call a "rut" for me would be a "creative spurt"! :spoton: As always Beautiful!

I really like the stamps you used...are they seeder type stamps or a combination?

Sandy

I really like the stamps you used...are they seeder type stamps or a combination?

Sandy

STEVE tell us about your "signature birdcage snaps" Sharpe looking Journal....

nice work steve! very clean, simple... well done!

You had better watch out or you'll be making alot of those. Good work. What type of snap is that?

Thanks all - for the kind words...I am pretty happy with the way this came out... i really like the simple look

ah yes, my signature snap - when i was given a garage full of leather "junk" some years back by my friend Robert Praadke, painter to the stars and an extraordinary guy, I got with it - a load of hardware, much of it corroded, but in all the dirty, dusty as hell stuff there was a big bag of these 4 part snaps - along with the press dies - HA!! score one for the good guy!!, learned from a seamstress friend that these were called birdcage snaps because of the shape of the "male" part of the snap ( I will post pictures when i get time), the tops are brass plated steel - that is the only disappointment, that they aren't solid brass, but these snaps are super positive locking and strong, unique - i have NEVER seems another one like it anywhere, and they dont need the harsh tug of your normal line 24 snap - which always seem to stretch and pull at the thing you've put them in, i use them whenever i have to use a snap and they fit the look...which they always seem to do when i am at the helm

Edited by steveb

Sandy

hmm looking at that llittle strap, i used a flower center stamp, a silversmiths stamp(the wagon wheel design),

a small camo and seems to have hit it pretty hard with the #2 (i think) Osborne edger

this strap piece was one of those pieces i had in my scrap bin,

as were the inside pockets, as they were left over from making wallet pockets..

i always make my own prototype stuff with scrap and cast offs, makes you work harder to get the right result

Sandy

They look like Flower centers to me. with sunbursts/camos on the border. Am I close?

oh yeah for the record, because i never miss an opp to show my ace to a fellow craftsperson,

here is the not quite ready for prime time cover i began this project with.

the cover is made of elk, the pockets are veg tan, the sticthing sucks

and originally used a line24 snap (shown here) but i replaced it with a sam brown stud and lost the penny,

i like the press stud closure, but it dont work so good for a book that should lay flat - got to keep the accoutrements simple, low profile and close to the edge

oh and elk is fun, but it is soft, doesn't like to be stitched unless it is lined and absorbs dirt and oils like crazy - this is not the right application for elk

lessons learned

violation7__Medium_.jpgviolation6__Medium_.jpgviolation5__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204405972_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204405982_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204405995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna

doesn't look like your machined liked hte Elk either. THe other one looks good though. We've all been there.

Steve. Very nice. nuff said.

KK

doesn't look like your machined liked hte Elk either. <snip>

ya think...lol

I appreciate this post as much as the top one..,thanks for the lesson!

lessons learned