mereanarchy

Two Color Double Loop Stitch

Hello all. I am a motorcycle rider from Virginia who has decided to try and tackle re-lacing the seat and other accessories on her HD Deluxe. I have never worked in leather before, so I figured this would be an easy place to start. I recognize the stitch as a double loop stitch. I am looking to replace it with a two-color double loop stitch. I have been hunting online for directions, etc. and stumbled across an old Tandy book that has instructions. However, I can't for the life of me get it started correctly, and I was wondering if anyone here has a video of either themselves or someone else doing a two-color double loop. I did find a video of a single color, and just for practice, I did that, and have that down pretty well. I just dont know how to translate it into a two-color... any help would be very much appreciated!!

Look in this forum under help wanted, "need tooled wallet maker". Member electrathon posted a beautifully made wallet with a two color loop stitch. I never seen anything like this, and was quite impressed. Maybe he could point you in the right direction? It is something that I would like to know how to do too!

Hello all. I am a motorcycle rider from Virginia who has decided to try and tackle re-lacing the seat and other accessories on her HD Deluxe. I have never worked in leather before, so I figured this would be an easy place to start. I recognize the stitch as a double loop stitch. I am looking to replace it with a two-color double loop stitch. I have been hunting online for directions, etc. and stumbled across an old Tandy book that has instructions. However, I can't for the life of me get it started correctly, and I was wondering if anyone here has a video of either themselves or someone else doing a two-color double loop. I did find a video of a single color, and just for practice, I did that, and have that down pretty well. I just dont know how to translate it into a two-color... any help would be very much appreciated!!

electrathon

Look in this forum under help wanted, "need tooled wallet maker". Member electrathon posted a beautifully made wallet with a two color loop stitch. I never seen anything like this, and was quite impressed. Maybe he could point you in the right direction? It is something that I would like to know how to do too!

electrathon

thank you so much for pointing me in a direction! I was certainly (and still kinda am) wandering aimlessly!!!

Do you mean this?

It is double loop two tone lacing. On page 17 of the book Lacing and Stiching for Leathercraft. You likely have the other lacing book Tandy has and it is tough to follow. This one is great. I can't post a scan because it is a copywrited book.

It is just as easy as double loop lacing once you get the hang of it. Keep your slots close togeather and near to the edge. If you do it corect it looks very similar to Mexican round braid when it is done.

JJleatherworks: Thank you for the complement.

Aaron

post-2349-087238400 1294797993_thumb.jpg

post-2349-002606100 1294798006_thumb.jpg

Do you mean this?

It is double loop two tone lacing. On page 17 of the book Lacing and Stiching for Leathercraft. You likely have the other lacing book Tandy has and it is tough to follow. This one is great. I can't post a scan because it is a copywrited book.

It is just as easy as double loop lacing once you get the hang of it. Keep your slots close togeather and near to the edge. If you do it corect it looks very similar to Mexican round braid when it is done.

JJleatherworks: Thank you for the complement.

Aaron

hey Aaron! Yup, thats the stitch I am after. I do have the book you reference. I am sure if I did lacing prior, the instructions would be ok, I think I understand what I need to do once I am in the middle of the project, but I am completely lost when it comes to the beginning. My project isnt "round" so I need to have a beginning and end (I know these are steps 25-32, but I am still struggling). I am not sure how familiar you are with motorcycles, but I am relacing a HD Deluxe (seat, tank console), so the holes are already there. That is another thing that I am getting confused about. The slots are angled, so I am not sure which end I am supposed to start from, as the slots in the book are straight.

I am assuming pictures would help?

Edited by mereanarchy

hey Aaron! Yup, thats the stitch I am after. I do have the book you reference. I am sure if I did lacing prior, the instructions would be ok, I think I understand what I need to do once I am in the middle of the project, but I am completely lost when it comes to the beginning. My project isnt "round" so I need to have a beginning and end (I know these are steps 25-32, but I am still struggling). I am not sure how familiar you are with motorcycles, but I am relacing a HD Deluxe (seat, tank console), so the holes are already there. That is another thing that I am getting confused about. The slots are angled, so I am not sure which end I am supposed to start from, as the slots in the book are straight.

I am assuming pictures would help?

The only real differance you will have in starting is that you will use the first hole twice and not just once. I would recomend you practice not doing that till you get the hang of lacing, then adjust the starting laces. The biggest initial tip I can give you is to practice on something else. Must people pull the lacing too tight and it will break or cup your project. It is a "feel" thing as to how hard to pull it.

The slots do not have to be angled, but it looks smoother if they are. You are reusing slots, so you do not have to deal with spacing, just work with what is there. A common mistake on tank bibs is that the left side of the bib should be laced the oposite of the right side. It should be mirror image. Scan the page in that shows the pattern and then flip it so the words are backwards, this is the pattern for the opposite side. I am likely saying this wrong, I will do a sample showing this, likely will be tomorrow evening when I can post it.

Use Kangeroo lace! Y Knot lace sells it for about the same cost as the junky lace tandy sells. A fraction of the Cost tandy charges for kangeroo. 406-249-5225

This one is two tone, douple lace done with one color. The slots are 3/32" and 1/8" lace. It was very hard to pull because it was crowded and tight. Wax your lace with parafin. Use LOK-EYE needles, others are just frustrating, these work.

post-2349-017451000 1294811916_thumb.jpg

I've just watched a DVD called 'Fancy Leather Lacing' with Chan Geer that was very informative and easy to understand - it might help if you have any problems.

I believe I purchased it from Hidecrafters in Fort Worth, Tx.

Ray

I've just watched a DVD called 'Fancy Leather Lacing' with Chan Geer that was very informative and easy to understand - it might help if you have any problems.

I believe I purchased it from Hidecrafters in Fort Worth, Tx.

Ray

Chan is an increadible instructor. The wallet is a pattern he drew (it is in one of his pattern packs). He was the first person to show me how to lace two tone, I liked it so much most of my lacing is now done this way.

Looking very good. The top of the braid will tend to migrate to the rear, adjust it straight as you are going.

Here is a sample I did up. I used two differant punches, one is slightly tipped and one is straight.

post-2349-092929000 1294887740_thumb.jpg

Here is a sample I did up. I used two differant punches, one is slightly tipped and one is straight.

cool, yours looks better, but mine is not too bad for a first try! Would you mind taking a closeup picture of the beginning spot in the back, i am curious where your lacing tucks in compared with mine. The lacing i am using looks softer than yours, i am using calf craft lace? also, what is the longest length of lace you use before you split a project, and splice lace? i read somewhere that pulling too much lace will weaken the lace, however, this is being used as decoration, not construction, so strength isnt as much an issue, but i dont want the lace at the end to look more "abused" than the lace at the beginning...

thanks for all your help!

LOL now I want to redo it. I did not figure I would have to show the back. I just quickly tucked the lace in along the stitches in the back.

As to length, I pull the lace out as far as I can in both hands (about 5'6" or so). The second lace gets another foot so the splices do not line up. I never splice on a corner, if you do not have enough lace to fo around a corner, cut it short and splice. The lace is Kangeroo. I have roles and roles of calf, but I do not like the way it wears. I have been trying to use it when I can, but most of the time I use the kangeroo. Kangeroo lays in so noce and it very easy to work with.

post-2349-075153100 1294890227_thumb.jpg

LOL now I want to redo it. I did not figure I would have to show the back. I just quickly tucked the lace in along the stitches in the back.

As to length, I pull the lace out as far as I can in both hands (about 5'6" or so). The second lace gets another foot so the splices do not line up. I never splice on a corner, if you do not have enough lace to fo around a corner, cut it short and splice. The lace is Kangeroo. I have roles and roles of calf, but I do not like the way it wears. I have been trying to use it when I can, but most of the time I use the kangeroo. Kangeroo lays in so noce and it very easy to work with.

:) that is pretty much what my back looks like too, but i know noone is ever going to see the back on my application, so I guess its good enough for what i am doing. I was specifically after the colors I have (the blue and the silver) as they match the pinstriping on my bike. I dont think that wear will be too much of a problem, the areas where the braids are are hopefully enough out of the way it will be ok. I also have quite a bit, so if I ever need to replace, I should be able to do so without too much trouble.

If you had known i was going to ask to see the back, how would you have done it differently? tucked the ends under the braid rather than on the back side of the piece?

If you had known i was going to ask to see the back, how would you have done it differently? tucked the ends under the braid rather than on the back side of the piece?

Yes, I would have layed them along the edge of the leather. If you do it right it just disapears.