Andy Tanguay

Singer 111W152 Worthwhile?

While out and about today, I came across a nice Singer 111w152 at an estate sale. I scored the whole setup for $20 (I just had to try at that price) - Motor, machine, table, everything.

Anyhow, now that I'm back home and reading the great thread (no pun intended) by Wizcrafts, I'm wondering if anything can be done to turn this into a good stitching machine.

Here's what I'm looking to do...I'm looking for a reasonably thick gauge of thread to match my usual hand saddle stitching... but I don't need a lot of layers or particularly thick leather...generally I'm just adding an edging, since the cases I make have right angles that have to be hand stitched. I generally make small cases and things like that. Nothing insane.

Would a walking foot attachment help me out here? Any suggestions for a gauge that comes close to the T*ndy stuff? I'm not using the artificial sinew or anything, and I don't think it's the braided cord.

Thanks a LOT for any thoughts or ideas here!

The Singer 111w152 IS a walking foot machine. It does not need any walking foot attachment! Here is the technical specs for this model:

Single needle, lock stitch, compound feed with a vertical-axis sewing hook, and alternating pressers with 3/8" lift. Safety clutch prevents hook from being damaged by accidental strain. Speed 2900 R.P.M. The maximum stitch length is 5 to the inch. For stitching light leather work, such as leather gloves.

This model is not designed for thick or hard leather, nor for thick thread.

If you want to have a machine that sews with the same (#554) waxed linen thread you typically use when hand sewing, look into a Union Lockstitch, or Campbell-Randall needle and awl machine, or a shoe sole stitcher (Landis, Champion, American Straight Stitch, Frobana, Gritzer). None of the standard closed eye walking foot machines can feed this thread effectively.

If you want a closed eye leather sewing machine that can handle thick, unwaxed thread, the Juki TSC 441, or Adler 205-370, GA5-1, or the 441 clones (example), which are sold by our member-dealers, all work with up to #415 bonded nylon, or bonded polyester thread. They require a #27 needle to do this. I do not personally know of any other types of machine that can use a #27 needle.

The machines I have listed above will sew over 3/4 inch of real leather, with up to #415 bonded thread and huge needles. They sell for between $2,500 to $6,000, plus or minus.

The Singer 111w152 IS a walking foot machine. It does not need any walking foot attachment! Here is the technical specs for this model:

Single needle, lock stitch, compound feed with a vertical-axis sewing hook, and alternating pressers with 3/8" lift. Safety clutch prevents hook from being damaged by accidental strain. Speed 2900 R.P.M. The maximum stitch length is 5 to the inch. For stitching light leather work, such as leather gloves.

This model is not designed for thick or hard leather, nor for thick thread.

If you want to have a machine that sews with the same (#554) waxed linen thread you typically use when hand sewing, look into a Union Lockstitch, or Campbell-Randall needle and awl machine, or a shoe sole stitcher (Landis, Champion, American Straight Stitch, Frobana, Gritzer). None of the standard closed eye walking foot machines can feed this thread effectively.

If you want a closed eye leather sewing machine that can handle thick, unwaxed thread, the Juki TSC 441, or Adler 205-370, GA5-1, or the 441 clones (example), which are sold by our member-dealers, all work with up to #415 bonded nylon, or bonded polyester thread. They require a #27 needle to do this. I do not personally know of any other types of machine that can use a #27 needle.

The machines I have listed above will sew over 3/4 inch of real leather, with up to #415 bonded thread and huge needles. They sell for between $2,500 to $6,000, plus or minus.

Well that's cool...somehow I missed that. I went and checked that mechanism, and it doesn't seem to have the same action as the ones I'm seeing, but I am just starting to understand the difference today.

I guess either way I'm going to be hand stitching for a long time...cause those are way out of my price range. Bummer. 8-/

Thanks for the info!

For $20.00 that's a great buy,you can still do lighter weight sewing with #138 real easy which is alot smaller than what your using.If you want to PM me your address I can send alittle sample of it.

P.S. We just got back from AA a few minutes ago.

Bob