Sign in to follow this  
HamraBDG

Super Shene // Tandy Leather

Hi,

my names is Luca, I'm italian boy with a big love for the leather and carving. I know the world of carving a year ago and here I put the pictures of all my works:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roma-Italy/Leather-work-Bottega-dello-Gnomo/46737139952

So I have always used as gloss finish the "SUPER SHENE" (TLF) but I often found a problem with this product, it's not uniformly bright, I tried to give the product with various techniques to no avail. I tried using other products to be made later as oil and / or product "CARNAUBA" ... result was better but still not satisfactory!!!

Let me know if you know a product to be used after the Super Shene, if you know a precise way to use it or if you know any other better products stretching into account that I always use the antiquing gel as the final stage

AscoltaTrascrizione fonetica

My best regards

Luca

Hi,

my names is Luca, I'm italian boy with a big love for the leather and carving. I know the world of carving a year ago and here I put the pictures of all my works:

http://www.facebook....omo/46737139952

So I have always used as gloss finish the "SUPER SHENE" (TLF) but I often found a problem with this product, it's not uniformly bright, I tried to give the product with various techniques to no avail. I tried using other products to be made later as oil and / or product "CARNAUBA" ... result was better but still not satisfactory!!!

Let me know if you know a product to be used after the Super Shene, if you know a precise way to use it or if you know any other better products stretching into account that I always use the antiquing gel as the final stage

My best regards

Luca

Luca;

I've looked over some of your pictures and you seem to have a real good hand for leather. There are two products you might try for finishes. Fiebing's Resolene give a satin type finish and a lot of protection. For a higher sheen, you might try Neat-Lac. It'll give you a nice gloss finish. Keep up your excellent work. JimB

Hi Jimmy,

thank you for your compliments and advises, I've a question for you ... using Neat-Lac I can to give gel antique on leather?

My best regards

others advises?

I'm looking for the same information as you do, and this is what I found so far:

- Satin Shene gives more uniform, almost matte finish, it could be mixed with Super Shene to reach desired level of shinyness.

- Acrylic finishes could be buffed to a nice glow, although I don't see much difference by myself.

- After Super Shene or Resolene could be applied Kiwi neutral shoe polish, for more soft feel on touch, but not beeswax.

- Try Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax instead of Carnauba, softer feel. It's quite neutral and mellow, can be buffed to desired level of shinyness. Only I always used it without any other finish, and it is not as good as acrylics as a finish by itself. And Tandy stopped selling it, at least in my area.

If antiquing gel you use is acrylic based, it shouldn't work over wax or shoe polish, as any other acrylic.

If you look around, there are still a few folks who sell neat-lac. The "replacment" is clear-lac. I've never used it so I don't know how it works. Be sure to post some pics.

I too am new at working with leather and I am very impressed by your work. Do you have patterns for sale for your bags or are they patters that you can direct me to for a no-cost basis.

Douglas

Hi,

http://www.facebook....omo/46737139952

My best regards

Luca

others advises?

I really like Feibing's Leather Sheen that comes in a spray can. I use Leather Balm Atom Wax before applying the Leather Sheen... it's worked out pretty good so far.

post-13450-089157200 1306001085_thumb.jp

Edited by Sixer

I have not had any issues with supersheen. Generaly, I apply it with a cloth instead of a dauber. YOu are going to have to use a cloth or a spray to get it on your pieces correctly. Also it works similar to die, if you let it pool in 1 spot, it will change color or look slightly uneven. You also have to even out the bubles if it bubbles up on you any. Then just buff it, and it will turn out fine. However most of the other suggestions on here will work fine as well, I use resolene quite a bit as well.

I do the same as willbilly, I apply my sheen with a rag rather than a dauber and rub it in completely. I do two coats then let it dry for 24 hours then I do two more coats and let that dry for 24 hrs then I apply mink oil or neutral shoe polish to even out any uneven areas.