Sign in to follow this  
Micah

finished the guitar strap

This weekend I finished the guitar strap I've been making for a good friend. I now have 3 more to make and think I will keep one of those aside for myself, given how pleased I am with the results of this first one! This was surely an educational process and I'm gonna miss this strap after it ships Tuesday.

Anyway, the low-down...

• ~8oz veg lined with 1.5oz velvet pigsuede
  • dyed red (Fiebing's pro oil dye) with black borders, Chinese writing ("fire horse"), and spattering, then shaded with more black
  • Artist signature done with a Sharpie
  • neatsfooted (new verb?)
  • grooved, thonged, and handstitched
  • slicked, dyed, and burnished edges
  • sealed/finished with Resolene
  • hand-distressed zinc/nickle roller buckle
  • hand-brushed nickle/steel rivets
  • black latigo lace for acoustic guitar tie
  • adjustable between 38"-53"

DSC03508_notxt.jpg DSC03507_notxt.jpg DSC03506_notxt.jpg DSC03505_notxt.jpg DSC03504_notxt.jpg

post-4040-1192399111_thumb.jpg

post-4040-1192399136_thumb.jpg

post-4040-1192399158_thumb.jpg

post-4040-1192399177_thumb.jpg

post-4040-1192399204_thumb.jpg

Great job there Micah, I love that color.

Ken

that is one beefy strap!

i like the color - and antiqued look -

hmmm

that big buckle never better come near the body of the guitar when its on a stand - that could get ugly

no straplocks?

I usually ask the musician I make a strap for to use straplocks - even if they dont normally

its a good idea, we've all dropped our pride and joy if we didnt use 'em

and it makes for a much better guitar to strap to person connection when they are installed

steveb

he already knows the risk of the buckle, and he uses straplocks, but those are good points to mention (I wasn't aware of those problem areas in the beginning). I jammed around on it with my $1500 all maple/ebony (heavy!) guitar for an hour, serious, hardcore jamming and the strap performed great. I wanted to make sure it would handle some abuse (with my most prized possession!) before I would feel comfortable sending it to him. I was concerned about the beefiness of it until I tried it out, I love it w/o a doubt now. He had also complained about the flimsy leather straps most places are selling these days, so I think he'll like this :D

thx for the compliments and feedback guys! I learned a lot from this project that will make my next one better :)

Edited by Micah

Micah,

No wonder you are pleased with the first one. That is really looking good. The color is really rich looking. I bet you will be making a lot more of these once people start seeing them.

Clay

Micah, that's one of the nicest projects I've seen posted recently. The color is absolutely brilliant. The combo of red, black and some spattering leads to a real unique look. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Great work. Did you airbrush or apply the dye by hand (somehow)?

thank you all! the color really loves to play in the light (made it a real trick to take its picture, too). Indoors under ambient light, it is very dark maroon, but put a light on it and it springs to life!

Regis, all dye work was done by hand using wool daubers (and a toothbrush/needle for the spattering). I wish I had an airbrush, the shading would have gone a lot faster! Instead I built it up gradually from the edges with a lot of rubbing, but you have to give the dye in the dauber a few days to dry out first or else it goes on too heavy.