LNLeather

Metal-Wrapped Wallet Protects Against Id Theft ...

Last Friday I read a recent article in Consumer Reports about how to protect your credit & bank cards from ID theft.

Apparently there are ways to prevent Radio Frequency ID tags from cards in your wallet - being transmitted onto recording devices….

It looks like the easiest way is to wrap your cards in tin foil.

I found a neat set of directions for making a Duct Tape wallet Duct Tape Wallet and

how to add tin foil to it Duct Tape wallet w/tin foil

I did a search here for tin foil and found nothing on the subject and then I went on-line to research the subject.

Then I googled 'wallet to protect card from ID theft' and there are all kinds of things available out there for sale. Wallets, checkbooks, and Pasport cases... Anything that holds bank or credit cards, etc.

From what I read on-line - RFID chips now exist in:

# Chase's Blink Credit Card

# Mastercard PayPass Credit Card

# Many Corporate IDs

# Many University IDs

# United States Passports

# Euro Passports

It could also be a selling point for those special items… You could have some with and some without the foil.

*RFID blocking technology protects personal information embedded in many debit/credit cards and US passports issued after October 2006

It sure would be easy to add aluminum foil to your Wallets, checkbooks, and Pasport cases... Anything that holds bank or credit cards, etc.

by putting the aluminum foil under the lining material. A couple of small dollops of glue should hold it in place while you are sewing it up.

So I have been wondering if any of you had heard about this or know about this

or have thought about adding aluminum foil to your wallets or ID cases or anything that also holds ID cards?

Edited by LNLeather

Interesting.

I'm not sure about the thickness,but this is what this stuff is made for. You might also want to research woven metallic fabrics.

Good Luck! Please keep us updated on your findings.

are Ultraperm 80 Shielding Sheet

G16600AB.jpg Item Number : G16600A clear.gif Unit Price: $10.00 clear.gifclear.gif Quantity clear.gif

Refer this page to a friend

Detailed Description Large 7.75” x 12.38” x .005" thick sheet of Ultraperm 80 features a peel and stick surface on one side of the sheet. Ultraperm 80 sheet is a nickel-iron alloy (80.3% nickel, 14.3% iron, plus 14.3 %molybdenum). It has very high magnetic permeability (400000 @ 0.73-0.5mm -50Hz maximal permability) which makes Ultraperm 80 very effective at screening static or low-frequency magnetic fields which are difficult to attenuate with other means.The Ultraperm 80 is similiar to Mu-metal but the copper which is added to make Mu metal more ductile is not added to this sheet. This shielding is commonly found around transformers in high end audio equipment, cathode ray tubes in oscilloscopes, photomultipliers, magnetic phono cartridges, hard drives, super conducting circuits, MRI equipment, etc. This is a difficult item to find for the average hobbyist. We have a limited quantity of these brand new rare sheets of Ultraperm 80 so hurry before it’s gone!

G16600

Source: Electronic Goldmine

B)

Interesting.

Another material is the 'foil tape', self adhesive, aluminum, usually 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. Stays in place on it's own. I've seen it at car parts (autozone, etc), as well as Walmart/Target.

Down here our passport cards are issued with a foil lined 'protector' so I do believe this is 'real'. I now use an aluminum wallet, plan on a leather one with the foil tape later.

The one I saw in a magazine that like sharper image for teens and collage students is a stainless steel wallet, Its super fine stainless steel woven together and said to feel like silk. Try Google search.