Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

Thousands Of Leather Stamps

We browse antique shops in the summer when we have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon. A number of them have old Printing Press advertisements etc. many of them would be in the Public Domain. These are lead, brass, steel, copper, aluminum, some with wood tops.

I have found images of cars, tractors, heavy equipment, Christmas images, you name it. I place them on leather wrist bands and other items. Antique the leather. The various images are beautiful and I don't know

of any leather shop that carries them in stock. :)

I place a clean heavy piece of material on the drill press table, lay the leather on that, place the icon where I want it, lay a hard piece of wood on top and press down with a character stamp handle chucked in the drill.

Some of you might like to try it.

ferg

I've been itching to try this. I have some old Lions, Kiwanis, and Rotary logos that are all smaller than 1x1. I need a press to do a decent job of it though.

I also have a bigger Scout symbol too, about 2 x 3 inches. Just what I can get with C-clamps is gorgeous.

Sounds like you may be finding old book binding stamps, especially the brass with wood handles. i see a few here and there on Ebay. i have the desire to try my hand at book binding.

No, they don't have handles. Some have a block of wood attached to the metal printing plate.

ferg

Sounds like you may be finding old book binding stamps, especially the brass with wood handles. i see a few here and there on Ebay. i have the desire to try my hand at book binding.

If you have a drill press use a piece of steel 1/4" thick or aluminum about 3/8" thick on top of the printing block. Lower whatever you have chucked into the drill press in the center of the printing block. It will take steady and ample pressure but it will work.

ferg

I've been itching to try this. I have some old Lions, Kiwanis, and Rotary logos that are all smaller than 1x1. I need a press to do a decent job of it though.

I also have a bigger Scout symbol too, about 2 x 3 inches. Just what I can get with C-clamps is gorgeous.

I will take some pics and post them this evening.

ferg

Photos of the stamps and the impressed leather would be great!

The photos included are of a test piece I done. Sorry I don't have any of the stained pieces available for taking photos.

This is Veg tan natural with a couple applications of Neat Lac.

The image of the 57 Chevy is 2" long. That should give you a reference for the other images.

Sorry for the bad photos. That is what you get when in a hurry.

I will take some pics and post them this evening.

ferg

post-15740-083701200 1313717087_thumb.jp

post-15740-061209800 1313717130_thumb.jp

Edited by 50 years leather

Those look great and a good way to recycle. Thanks for the pics! Now I know what yer talkin' about.