Sign in to follow this  
SScott

wet or dry leather for stitching groover?

Hello,

Just joined and have a couple of questions, Hope you can help.

When using the stitching groover (just got one at The Leather Factory)

should the leather be damp, wet or dry? When I was trying to cut a groove

it would plug up, what am I doing wrong? Next, is there a way to use 3 different

colors of lace for a double loop or something similar? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sscott

Hello,

Just joined and have a couple of questions, Hope you can help.

When using the stitching groover (just got one at The Leather Factory)

should the leather be damp, wet or dry? When I was trying to cut a groove

it would plug up, what am I doing wrong? Next, is there a way to use 3 different

colors of lace for a double loop or something similar? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sscott

Hey Scott,

Check out Chan Geer's DVD called Fancy Leather Lacing. It covers two color double loop and other styles of fancy lacing.

Dave Theobald

Hi Sscott,

On the stitching groover, I always get the best results with the leather dry. If I recall correctly, Leather Factory sells two different groovers. One is a real lightweight affair with a set screw in it, never been able to cut a decent stitching groove with one of these. The other is a bit heavier with a collar that screws down to retain the bit/blade. The heavier one is a pretty good tool (made by IVAN-Taiwan). Whichever one you have, the blade must be sharp like any other cutting tool. I always strop mine before I start cutting any stitching grooves, using a pair of vice grip pliers to get a good grip on the naked bit. Just strop on your rouge board in the opposite of the direction you would drag it to cut, until you have a nice polished edge right up to the hole.

Even though you are only removing a small bit of leather, it still has to be very sharp for it to cut a clean line with any control.

Happy Trails,

J

Welcome SScott,

The best thing to do is buy a book on lacing, for all the diferent styles and ways to do them.

Ken

Thanks for the info, I did buy the heavy one with screw down collar.

The Vice grip is a great tip. I have all the lacing books The Leather Factory

sells. Checking into getting the Chan Geer DVD. I'am trying to do a red, white and blue

lace on my project.

Thanks,

SScott

Hey Scott,

Check out Chan Geer's DVD called Fancy Leather Lacing. It covers two color double loop and other styles of fancy lacing.

Dave Theobald

May i ask were i can get a copy of Chan Geers DVD on lacing? mahalos for the help.. do you have a link?

May i ask were i can get a copy of Chan Geers DVD on lacing? mahalos for the help.. do you have a link?

Hidecrafters carries the Chan Geer DVDs.

Dave

Hidecrafters carries the Chan Geer DVDs.

Dave

Mahalos, for the help. i'll give them a call