megabit

Bryan Neubert Splitter

I've seen the pictures of his cutter but noticed in his WH ad that he has a splitter now based on a Dorrance design. Has anyone seen it? Do you have a picture you could post?

Mike

If its based off the splitter that Tom Dorrance used in the DVD, I am pretty sure its just a planer blade that is attached to a rod that is then run through two sleeves that are somehow attached to bolts on either side that allow you to adjust the height of the blade in relation to the wood block that is used for the base. I also think if my memory serves me right is that there are springs that are around the bolts (not sure what they do though). The sleeves around the rod that the blade is attached to allow the blade to rotate away from you so you can get your string in underneath it and then it rotates back down to perpendicular to the wood block. This design works well when you are using wetter lace, because it kind of just scrapes the flesh side off. If you were used to using drier lace, I dont think it will do anything but frustrate you since this design wont actually cut the flesh side off. I can try and draw up a picture if this doesnt make sense. Not sure how Bryan has changed it from the way Tom made his, but for as many riatas as Tom made with that splitter, Im sure it works pretty darn well just the way it is lol.

CW

I think either Woolery's book or Grant's has a picture of Tom's splitter. The picture isn't very good though and I couldn't figure out how it worked looking at it. I have one of the Clint Sims (whitebuf) ones but would like to get away from the utility razor blades. I think it would work better with a blade that is just beveled on one side (like a plane blade). I wish I knew a machinist I'd have an adapter for a plane blade rigged for my Sims splitter.

Speaking of the Dorrance DVD, is it worth spending the considerable funds on? I have a new reata at home but it still looks like a dried cowhide. :rolleyes2:

I think either Woolery's book or Grant's has a picture of Tom's splitter. The picture isn't very good though and I couldn't figure out how it worked looking at it. I have one of the Clint Sims (whitebuf) ones but would like to get away from the utility razor blades. I think it would work better with a blade that is just beveled on one side (like a plane blade). I wish I knew a machinist I'd have an adapter for a plane blade rigged for my Sims splitter.

Speaking of the Dorrance DVD, is it worth spending the considerable funds on? I have a new reata at home but it still looks like a dried cowhide. :rolleyes2:

Mega. If you are looking for a fixed blade splitter like that I have the splitter off of a Hansen that I'd sell for $100. I'll try to post a pic.

in one of grants books there is a picture of a guy using a woodworking planer to split his rawhide....i always wondered how well that would work. they can be pricey but on the other hand they are highly adjustable and there are a variety of sizes. i currently use a homemade splitter from plans someone had posted on this board a couple of years ago.

Mega. If you are looking for a fixed blade splitter like that I have the splitter off of a Hansen that I'd sell for $100. I'll try to post a pic.

I would indeed be interested.

The DVD is good for a beginner, and I got alot out of it just by watching how Tom and Randy did things. I understood the process but it was nice to see someone go through all of them. I also really enjoyed hearing Tom talk about some of his horse training ideas and policies. I got the dvd as a christmas gift, so I didnt have to worry about the price lol. I think its definitely worth every braider to have just in case they stop producing them and you wouldnt be able to get one.

CW

I believe you are talking about Four Strands of Rawhide, is Randy Rieman and Bill Dorrance. Tom was Bills younger brother and was an exceptional horse person that started the Horse Clinicians we see today mainly Ray Hunt. I started braiding at Bills place when I was a teenager. The tool you are referring to is a wood plane blade set at 90 degrees in a framethat can be adjusted up and down for different thicknesses of rawhide. This is the tool Bill Used until someone built him a splitter similar to an Osborne. He still used it on occasion. Bryan told me he uses his quite a bit. You just have to make more passes and keep it sharp. I'm pretty sure rawhide only. I have one somewhere but could never get it sharp enough. A friend built it for me in Salinas 35 years ago. I need to get that video just to remember the time I spent in Bills rawhide room making strings and visiting. I would come home from Nv or Or and go visit about the different outfits I was working on and listen to his stories of his younger days in northeast Or. But thats another story Brad

I would indeed be interested.

Here's the splitter Mega let me know what ya think.

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

that is the small Splitter i am looking for :)

wher make this on ??

Hey MB, I just got my Hansen last week and I am loving that splitter. My only concern is that I'm going to screw it up when I have to sharpen the blade.

The only thing that I would modify would be to figure out a way to consistently split at the same thickness.

Hey MB, I just got my Hansen last week and I am loving that splitter. My only concern is that I'm going to screw it up when I have to sharpen the blade.

The only thing that I would modify would be to figure out a way to consistently split at the same thickness.

So did you find a used one or bite the $450 bullet?

So did you find a used one or bite the $450 bullet?

I found a used one for a little less than new. However, after going through a bunch of string it is worth every penny spent.

Go here: http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/

If what' you've got is like the pictures above it's basically a small plane blade and can be sharpened in exactly the same way. With a little practice, the system Brent lays out there will produce edges better than anything else out there. They are terrifyingly sharp. It takes a bit of investment in the setup, and some practice to get right but once you've done that it's quick, simple and it works, very very well.

Scribe a set of lines in the top of the sides using a machinists square. That way you can get back to the same thickness again by putting the edge up to the line you used last time.

that is the small Splitter i am looking for :)

wher make this on ??

Go to the "Hansen String Cutter" web site.

The easiest way I found to do that was to hand tighten the blade screws and loosen to start the string. That way you dont lose the thickness set. I bought an Osborne so I didn't use mine any more or I would have added a stop screw that I could set to stop the round after loosening. Just an idea.

LJensen,

I second Brent's system that Al mentioned for sharpening. I have shared this site several times over the years. I was fortunate that one of the Tool Cutter and Grinding guys that I worked with turned me onto Brent's website in 2002-2003. You should have no problems sharpening the blade if you use his system.

Regards,

Ben

Go here: http://www3.telus.ne...tBeach/Sharpen/

If what' you've got is like the pictures above it's basically a small plane blade and can be sharpened in exactly the same way. With a little practice, the system Brent lays out there will produce edges better than anything else out there. They are terrifyingly sharp. It takes a bit of investment in the setup, and some practice to get right but once you've done that it's quick, simple and it works, very very well.

Scribe a set of lines in the top of the sides using a machinists square. That way you can get back to the same thickness again by putting the edge up to the line you used last time.

Thanks for sharing the link on how to sharpen the blades. Also, I had a similar thought about marking lines on the side of the roller at the different thicknesses.

This site is just a wealth of knowledge. :banana:

I just went and looked at the website and saw that the adjustment on these is via eccentricity in the roller which means it'll be a bit harder to get back to a "zero" point each time. What you need are two marks, one on the top edges of the uprights for the edge of the blade - which will get slightly shorter every time you sharpen it; and one inside the uprights for the height of the roller, which could get trickier to see.

There would be better ways of doing it but they'd require high-precision markings and a slight rework of the way the roller is mounted.

Very late to this conversation, but I have the Neubert "evener" and don't need it - want to sell it. Used maybe once, couldn't get the hang of it, and went to using my antique expensive splitter instead. Neubert doesn't make the evener anymore - will sell it for $175 (paid $200 for it).

Want to post pictures but can't figure out how... PM me for pics if you're interested, or maybe someone could tell me how to post the pictures?

in one of grants books there is a picture of a guy using a woodworking planer to split his rawhide....i always wondered how well that would work. they can be pricey but on the other hand they are highly adjustable and there are a variety of sizes. i currently use a homemade splitter from plans someone had posted on this board a couple of years ago.

In the Bruce Grant book, would that be Mary Fields who is shown making the reata? If so, she was my rawhide teacher and I have a splitter like the one shown that she is using. If interested, I can try to make up a set of plans and post them here.

I would be interested in some plans for a splitter using a woodworking plane. I have some old ones in my shed and if I could make them useful again, that would be great. Thanks!

Pete

I have the Hansen and I too love the cutting side of it but wish I could get more consistency with the splitter. wish there was more surface area. I tell ya if you live in high humidity or keep your cutter outside, make sure you keep it lightly oiled.