bruce johnson

Eight Leather Splitters For Sale

I have added eight leather splitters for sale to my website this evening. There are 2 sizes of Osborne #86's - a seven inch blade and nice inch blade. I also added 6 Chase pattern splitters in sizes from 8 inch up to 12 inch. The 12 inch is one I have used for about 5 years. I have stopped making saddles and don't need a big one for leveling anymore, and my 10 inch does all I need for now. Here is a link to my website for the landing page of the tools - http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/ .

Thank you,

Bruce

Bruce, A little off topic but I have to tell you about a find that my neighbor came across. He went to an estate liquidation In Dallas a couple of weeks ago, he bought a box of "old tools and stuff" in his words and was showing it to me. I wanted to just die right there when I saw what he had. There was an Osborne Rein Rounder with a date of 1896 on it for starters along with numerous very old skivers that were made in Sheffield England. I think they were cobblers shaves of some sort. There were several other leather working tools and also a bunch of old woodworking items like wood planes and shaping planes. The kicker was he only paid $50 for the entire box. I tried to buy a few items from him but he wants to keep them in his garage in a box to "look at them". He had no clue what most of the items even were.

Too bad they won't see use but look at the bright side - this proves there are still more of these good old tools out there waiting to be found!

Ed, Tell your friend that I'm in Dallas and I'd pay a fair price...

Ferg.. Please... don't you think I already tried to buy them. He had no clue what the things even were, I had to tell him. This guy has more money than sense and is a bit of a hoarder. He can't even walk through his garage to the house. Basically he is a rich kid who doesn't have to work because mommy and daddy set him up for life. They bought him and his brothers a slew of rent houses and other properties and that is where he gets his "walking around cash". With this stuff it will just sit in the garage where he dropped it and will be there for who knows how long. Trust me, I intend to keep pressing him for a few pieces, I have made him a few holsters and other things in the past so next time he wants one I will do a little bartering with him.

Reddevil,

The 12 inch sold right away. I will be having some more splitters, skivers, and maybe a 3-in-1 within a couple weeks. A few leather orders to finish this week and then no more orders with a time frame for a few months to catch up on tools.

Thanks,

Bruce

Ok will check back.. Just bought a Campbell Keystone 8 inch but will be interested if any 12 inch turns up.

Can 3 in 1s do edge skiving?

3-in-1's will do edge skiving on vegtan and most latigo. They won't do chap or soft chrome tans.

Chase splitters split with the grain side up. The split falls off to the bottom. The old originals didn't have legs. They were screwed down flush to the bench and the splits fell through a hole in the bench into a container. Some guys mount them just overhanging the edge of the bench slightly and the splits go to the floor or into a handy trash can.