Willis7737

Greenhorn Looking For Advice/opinions (Spot Setting)

Greenhorn here looking for a little help with making a decision on spot setting.

I'm just getting into leatherwork, and I'm looking to do it for two reasons, one to have fun/pickup a useful hobby, and two, make a little extra cash on the side.

In about two weeks, I am going to some barrel racing finals with my fiance for her to compete and for us to try and sell our crafts for a little extra money. I'll get to the point:

I want to order these and these so that I can make some saddle charms. With the gem spots, I found multiple ways to set them, but I've never done it myself.

I found an actual spot setter on tandy, but it's $40 and I want to keep my overhead down as much as possible.

While searching the forums I found that others just measure it out, cut some holes, and place the spots in there and bend the ends.

Someone else suggested this adjustable slot punch.

What is your opinion based on the project I'm doing? It's definitely not very thick vegetable tanned leather, so it shouldn't be tough to just cut some holes and place them in there, but do you think it would look finished enough? Do you recommend the adjustable slot punch because it's cheaper? Do you think I should just bite the bullet and get tandy's spot setter?

Any creative ideas and helpful advice would be fully appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Willis, I find myself in the same situation where I'm going to be setting spots in a fairly thick dog collar. And I don't have a spot setter and didn't want to buy one for a one time project. A friend of mine suggested I take a piece of wood and put in two screws the width of the shanks on the spots, and file the screws so that a tap with a hammer would start the hole and keep them even. Then while unpacking I ran across an old fork that is very large and light, have no idea what it's for, why I kept it, or where it came from. The tines are almost the exact width of the spot shanks. So I'm going to score my line, and use the fork to mark the places for the spots buy putting the first tine in the last tine mark and making three marks at a time to keep them evenly spaced.

If you can afford it and plan to do this a lot, invest in the spot setter. If not, there are probably dozens of ways to come up with something you already have. Hope this helps, Cheryl

Well, first things first. Tandy is never the cheapest place to get anything. Case in point: http://springfieldleather.com/29078/Setter%2CSpot%2CRound%2CTool-Set/ Tandy is convenient if you have one near you or you're just starting out. but other then that, there are almost always better options.

That being said, my experence has been that with leatherwork, it's always best to try the MacGyver solution first. Nine times out of ten it works just fine. It's just a matter of what your time is worth to you. After cutting slots a few times, you may find you want to pay for the setter, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Thanks for the advice you two!

I am definitely going to go the MacGuyver route with this at least with the first one until I either get good enough to not need a setter or get enough money together to actually get one.

To Glendon-

I cannot BELIEVE the price difference between Tandy and the other website you showed. It's outrageous. There is a Tandy shop about 3 hours away so it's nice for convenience but thats about it. Thanks for pointing out this new website. I'll be going through them from now on.

I always just set my dividers the same distance apart as the spots and walked it along where i wanted the spots. To punch the slots, one of the small pocket screwdrivers works great, and tap the prongs over with the small end of a ballpeen hammer. I seen a lady doing that way one time and she was faster than any machine.

Ya, the pricing at Tandy is pretty crazy. They really gouge because a lot of their customers are one time crafters doing one or two projects.

I am a big supporter of Springfield Leather Co. I always point them out when I get the chance. They were a Tandy store years ago before Tandy was going to close that location and the then manager bought it. So they have 85% of what Tandy carries, just at a better price. Plus you're supporting a small business.

Experience has taught me that a proper jig and a efficient method is the only way to do this . Buy the tool .I book marked a site that sells a better version of the spot setter you showed here . PM me and Ill find it and send the details . Check www.goodsjapan.com for this tool . If they are not straight they will not sell then you have wasted time and material and a booth fee . I must say your question was well prepared and executed with all the pages to make your point . These shows are full of pros and may not be the best place to get your feet wet in this arena .If its just about fun then why not try who knows what will happen . You will get a education one way or another . Good Luck !

Greenhorn here looking for a little help with making a decision on spot setting.

I'm just getting into leatherwork, and I'm looking to do it for two reasons, one to have fun/pickup a useful hobby, and two, make a little extra cash on the side.

In about two weeks, I am going to some barrel racing finals with my fiance for her to compete and for us to try and sell our crafts for a little extra money. I'll get to the point:

I want to order these and these so that I can make some saddle charms. With the gem spots, I found multiple ways to set them, but I've never done it myself.

I found an actual spot setter on tandy, but it's $40 and I want to keep my overhead down as much as possible.

While searching the forums I found that others just measure it out, cut some holes, and place the spots in there and bend the ends.

Someone else suggested this adjustable slot punch.

What is your opinion based on the project I'm doing? It's definitely not very thick vegetable tanned leather, so it shouldn't be tough to just cut some holes and place them in there, but do you think it would look finished enough? Do you recommend the adjustable slot punch because it's cheaper? Do you think I should just bite the bullet and get tandy's spot setter?

Any creative ideas and helpful advice would be fully appreciated.

Thank you!

I bought the spot setter tool from Springfield Leather and interestingly enough, it came in the Tandy packaging. However, I quickly decided after trying to set about 20 1/4" spots, that I am going to have to figure out something different. I had a hard time keeping the spots straight and probably pulled out about half as many as I put in.

I would like to find something that will set spots and rhinestone rim sets (ss34 or 7mm).

I am looking at The Litte Wonder from Weaver. Also found a hand feed-foot operated machine...just not sure I want to invest $650.

Would love to find a used setter!! Any suggestions on where to look? Also opinions on the Little Wonder?

I purchased the spot setter from Tandy and it works great for me. I purchased my spots from someone else, I tried the spots that Tandy sells and they always bent or fell out. I buy mine from Oregon leather not sure where they buy there’s but they are a little thicker and the prongs are bent out enough that when you put them in the tool they stay put.

I use a piece of 12 oz leather under my project and set as many spots as I can then pull the project off, its usually stuck pretty good but I think this helps to set the spots. I use a small flat tip screwdriver to bend the prongs over. I place the project back on the 12 oz leather spots down and using a mallet I smash the prongs down.

One thing you can try is put a spot in the setter and draw two lines down the spot setter on either side lined up with the points on the prongs.

On your project mark a line where you want them set. When you put the spot in the setter line the prongs up with the lines on the sides. Line the lines on spot setter up with the line on your project and with one quick blow with your mallet set the spot you have to make sure you strike the spot setter straight on.

Hope this helps

Doug

I have the setter and I have found that an easier way to do this is a) bend the prongs so they are parallel to each other. B) press the prongs on the leather where you want them. c) cut small slits with an exacto knife blade. d) insert spots by hand and follow with setter. e) bend prongs over and set with a hammer and punch.

This sounds more time consuming, but when you account for the spots you don't have to remove, the unsightly dings in your leather and the added precision, its a better method for me.