Monticore

extra heavy chap side from tandy

hi i am still trying to find some decent leather for making leather bands. does anybody have experience with tandy's heavy chap sides (9107-01) the website doesn't descride the temper of these. and are tandy's weight's pretty accurate i am looking for something about 2.5mm thick

thanks

In my experience, you need to go to Tandy and pick out your leather. Call ahead to see if they have anything to suit you. Otherwise you can get what you need from Siegel of California and others, but you must tell them what you want and what you will use it for. Wickett and Craig provide leather with a softer character and here again I would talk to someone. I have purchased from all of the above. I never order leather over the web.

Art

hi i am still trying to find some decent leather for making leather bands. does anybody have experience with tandy's heavy chap sides (9107-01) the website doesn't descride the temper of these. and are tandy's weight's pretty accurate i am looking for something about 2.5mm thick

thanks

thanks arts unfortunately i live about 4 hours drive from the nearest Tandy so it would cost me 80$ in gas just to go visit ,it would cheaper for me to buy it online and return it if i don't like it. i am fairly new to leather so i did not want to start ordering hides from all over .

i have been living of e bay scrap while i get better but i think it was time to get some decent stuff.

i have been contacting online suppliers to see if they offer samples .

p.s. can you claify who wickett and craig are?

thanks again

cory

I have 3 sides of their premium heavy chap leather... a black, a ginger and a cream side. They are about 5 oz and buttery soft. They are expensive but I couldn't resist them and picked up three sides the last time I was in Syracuse at the Tandy store.

Call Bill Johnson at the Elgin, Ill. Tandy Leather Factory warehouse. They have a very large supply of everything since they are a warehouse and not a storefront. Schmooze with them a little and ask them to pick out something real nice. They will lay their stock out on the big tables and do a little selecting for you. Very good people. Just tell them that Bree sent you. Maybe you will get your order free!! LOL!

:NEWFUNNYPOST::NEWFUNNYPOST::NEWFUNNYPOST:

cool bree do they have a smoth or pebbled finish?

cory

I just looked at the Ginger and it has a smooth finish. There is a distinct grain pattern but it isn't pebbled. It looks real nice. We loved that side as soon as we saw it.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Have a look at the 6 oz sides at Zack White.

Caledon Leather in Calgary, Alberta has excellent leathers and they really know their stuff. Check their web site.

You could give Sheridan Leather a call....Sheridan, WY. I have real good luck getting what I want from them. Just tell them what color and weight and they can usually fix you up.