The Spoonman

Help! Strange Greenish Film On Fiebing's Oil Dye (Saddle Tan)

looking for a little help!

i'm fairly new to leatherworking (2 months) and i'm currently making a case for conducting batons. (i'm also a music teacher.) tooled in the clarinet and music notes, looks great, used fiebing's saddle tan oil dye for the background, fiebing's black oil dye for the clarinet, and metallic silver acrylic paint for the keys and accents.

as you can see, i'm getting some sort of green film on the saddle tan portion of the fiebing's oil dye as it dries.

i've had good luck so far with antiquing (tandy antique gel), but am still trying to figure out the best way to use these oil dyes. i applied these with a brush - probably all wrong.

does anyone know the best way to get rid of the green film? i can mostly buff it off (tried a small section) but i'm wondering if there's a better way to get rid of it, and if there's a way to avoid it in the future.

any help/advice is appreciated!

THANKS!

post-42906-0-41870800-1377535186_thumb.j

That is caused by the excess dye solids sitting on the surface..........Buffing vigerously will remove it

awesome. thanks mike!

Sometime I go a little over board with the walnut oil dye and the same thing happens. The correct solution is to not dye so heavy. Using several coats and letting it dry and buff between coats until you get your desired darkness will prevent it.

When I do rush things the way I get rid of the green stuff is to wipe it off with alcohol and then buff.

Edited by PappyUSA