Rayban

My first holster, critique away!!

Well it's my first one for a real gun, let's say....after making several knife sheaths, I found this to be rather simple. Just a bit more leather of course.

The belt for this Plinking Rig is on the table now....but I can't wait to make another one of these....kinda have to anyway since I messed up on the stamping on this one.

If you see any glaring no-nos, please let me know....

IMG_9653.jpg

Rayban

Thats a good looking holster. I wished my first holster looked that good. As a matter of fact, I wish my last holster looked that good. Post photos of your belt when you finish it. I used to own a couple of Ruger single actions myself. I wish I still had one so that I could build a western rig for it.

Randy

Nice! I like the simple border pattern. Waiting for my basic 7 to arrive so I can try stamping something and I think I'll use your's for inspiration if that's OK.

Dan

Nice work. Since you're gonna make a new one anyhow, and you found this one easy, why not go ahead and line the inside with some 2/3 oz. leather? It will look that much nicer when you're done!

Thanks ya'll...I just may have to line my next one Boomer, and you're right, I'm sure it will look that much better. Just not looking forward to all that hand stitching...I'm basically a pretty lazy guy. :red_bandana:

Good looking holster. I failed to find a flaw in the stamping.
well then let's just forget I brought it up :P

Beautiful!

What color is that?

...well, it's suppossed to be Fiebings light brown.....I tried a little reducer in it because I knew it would be darker than "light brown".....but when I went over it again to try to smooth it out, it got darker anyway....and I was fighting with a dobber that was falling apart...I've said it before and I'll say it again...I miss Pro Dye...please come back, I've changed!! :blahblahblah:

Looks pretty dang nice for a first holster. I like the color you ended up with. Very Nice.

Nothing wrong with it that I can see! Much better than the first one I made.

Nice! I like the simple border pattern. Waiting for my basic 7 to arrive so I can try stamping something and I think I'll use your's for inspiration if that's OK.

Dan

Dan, if I can lend a hand, just ask.....hand stitching is what takes the most practice.

Got the belt finished this morn......next item will be a pouch to carry ammo in...

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

Super looking holster, and yes the lining will make it that much better.Dave

Rayban,

Beautiful holster. I just bought the Ruger New Vaquero SA. Everyone is convinced I did it just to have another leatherworking project! I'm looking into building a double loop style holster like yours for my gun. Any suggestions on how to make an accurate pattern?

Thanks!

-Fritzy

Tandy has those style holster patterns available for just about every old style single action made lol. I think all the holster patterns are on sale for $15 right now. Thats 5 pattern pacs usually at $5 a pop.

And great job on that holster and belt.

Rayban,

Beautiful holster. I just bought the Ruger New Vaquero SA. Everyone is convinced I did it just to have another leatherworking project! I'm looking into building a double loop style holster like yours for my gun. Any suggestions on how to make an accurate pattern?

Thanks!

-Fritzy

What MadMax said Fritzy....the style of mine is called the Cheyenne. In each pattern package there is a list of the guns that the patterns will fit, along with the various barrel lengths.

I don't know how much of a difference there is tween the New and the regular, or Bisley, Vaquero, so there may be some adjusting to be made prior to stitching, but i doubt it will be much.

Let me know if I can help in any way....I work 5 minutes away from a Tandy store...PM me if you need help getting a pattern...

IMG_9614.jpg

The bullet pouch...I need to improve on the construction of this piece, and I will, but this one should hold up fine in the meantime....

IMG_9813.jpg

Rayban,

That is a mighty fine rig! :thumbsup:

Is there a matching knife sheath in the works?

Johnny

Rayban,

Johnny

Yep, the sjeath shouldbedone in a couple days..

Rayban,

Johnny

Here tis....

IMG_9815.jpg