Hi Folks for any one who whats to build a stitching pony plans for one can be found in this pdf book starting on page 98 to 104 http://ia700307.us.a...k00roehgoog.pdf

cheers

James

I think that is the most uncomfortable looking stiching pony I've ever seen.

Thank you for the plans

Jon

Thanks for the pattern! This one is a bit bare bones... You can tell materials would not have been terribly plentiful when these plans were created, but useful nonetheless! I have a friend who has a wood shop in his basement, and said I can make a stitching pony for myself. I've been compiling pictures and measurements from various patterns, and I think I'm getting close to being ready to start.

Any suggestions on what makes a good 'pony'?

Thanks for sharing, I did try to ask my Mother make me a stitching horse or pony for me by looking at the plan, guess what my mother said:" I will sponsor you $100USD so you can buy one from Japan." >.<!

Making stitching horse or pony by ourselves is not going to happen in Singapore or Hong Kong >.<! Because we can’t find the right material or tools for it.

Ps. We can't even find any leather shop here in Singapore ... sigh...

How do the leather working class do here in Singapore, the teacher will bring the students to Hong Kong and make a one stop group shopping in Sumshupo for leather and accessories, very sad yeah?

(and yes I brought the pony from Japan >.<)

Send me a email and Ill show you a comfortable stitching horse I just had made for me . Bluesman1951@hotmail.com .This horse is going to out last me by a 100 years . yes they are for sale . Bill

Hi before you start let me show you one I just had made . Size limits will not let me post the picture here . Send me a email at : bluesman1951@hotmail.com and Ill send you some pictures of the one I just had custom made . This one will outlast me by 100 years and be fought over when I am gone . Its a last a life time tool . If you are interested send me a email and I will send you a bunch of pictures . Bluesman1951

Thanks for the pattern! This one is a bit bare bones... You can tell materials would not have been terribly plentiful when these plans were created, but useful nonetheless! I have a friend who has a wood shop in his basement, and said I can make a stitching pony for myself. I've been compiling pictures and measurements from various patterns, and I think I'm getting close to being ready to start.

Any suggestions on what makes a good 'pony'?

This is what I made to clamp in a Black and Decker Work Mate.

When the work is done it gets put in a corner.

post-19342-045610300 1342654261_thumb.jp

In Al Stolhman's The Art of Hand Sewing Leather, there is a layout on the last 3 pages of the book. I'm in the process of building mine, just waiting on the latigo strap and some buckles. The entire 1/4 horse as it's called can be built for $60 or less depending on your materials.

I know I am late to this party but thought you might like to see an original. I bought this leather horse, as I call it, when I was doing leatherwork in Montana in the late 1970s. At the time it was an antique, and now, 35 years later, it is still doing the job and doing it well. You can see that I currently have rope holding the legs in place because I take it apart to carry it to shows where I demonstrate handstitching. One poster here thought the plans for the horse looked very uncomfortable but I can tell you that I can sit on this horse for 8 hours or more and be perfectly comfortable.

I know I am late to this party but thought you might like to see an original. I bought this leather horse, as I call it, when I was doing leatherwork in Montana in the late 1970s. At the time it was an antique, and now, 35 years later, it is still doing the job and doing it well. You can see that I currently have rope holding the legs in place because I take it apart to carry it to shows where I demonstrate handstitching. One poster here thought the plans for the horse looked very uncomfortable but I can tell you that I can sit on this horse for 8 hours or more and be perfectly comfortable.

Have you ever thought about drawing up some plans for you stitching pony? I am also a woodworker and would love building one.

Have you ever thought about drawing up some plans for you stitching pony? I am also a woodworker and would love building one.

Actually, the plans in the document at the top of this thread are pretty close. Mine has two sets of rungs on the legs but otherwise looks like it might do the trick.

I found this pattern for a stitching pony. It was actually pretty easy to build. The hardware ran me about $6 and the lumber and leather I already had as scraps. I built this and I have used it allot. The only problem I ran into is being in the USA I am not used to using metric measurements but it worked out.

http://thecraftycouple.wordpress.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-leathercraft-stitching-pony/

This is more of a sitting clamp than a pony or horse, but I just built two of these basically in my kitchen (other then using my mitre saw to cut the main pieces)

Anyone skilled enough with a saw and some basic plans can design/build one. I'm proof!

Trey

post-44873-0-58706600-1415933448_thumb.j

post-44873-0-44066600-1415933494_thumb.j

post-44873-0-51719300-1415933516_thumb.j

post-44873-0-52846300-1415933535_thumb.j

post-44873-0-14787300-1415933549_thumb.j

post-44873-0-78985800-1415933583_thumb.j

post-44873-0-15602100-1415933611_thumb.j

Edited by TheThiefPrince

This is more of a sitting clamp than a pony or horse, but I just built two of these basically in my kitchen (other then using my mitre saw to cut the main pieces)

Anyone skilled enough with a saw and some basic plans can design/build one. I'm proof!

Trey

that leaves me out I look at wood and it cracks and slits

I guess no one feels like making one

I'm making one this weekend but I'm making mine to last. It will be made of oak and built to last. It will be better than the one from Tandy but that's me and my drive for quality. To be honest, unless you find someone local to you the parts and nominal labor and shipping will add up to more than buying from Tandy. If you happen to be local to Austin then we can talk.

Cost isn't the problem it's the quality and usability of the one they have. I have the cheap one and modded it over the years but would love one that you sit on and you foot opens and closes it not a bolt something that uses a strap to the latching mechanism and it latched with your right foot. Plus the clamp can rotate maybe. There's a good pattern in a old public domain boo k for a farmer or ranchers that do their own leather repairs, build all these devices for around the place.

It's fine with longer legs and a padded seat.

Here is one I built a few weeks ago. Made of solid poplar with no laminations

post-25805-0-03423800-1439936062_thumb.j

post-25805-0-17935500-1439936074_thumb.j

Here is one I built a few weeks ago. Made of solid poplar with no laminations

:thumbsup: Looks nice !!

Do you have a pattern & materials list you would be willing to share?