GianniWest

My Second Western Saddle

A preview of my second western saddle, the GW002. I count to finish it next weekend

post-23856-025616200 1327914328_thumb.jp

post-23856-036643800 1327914336_thumb.jp

post-23856-075537300 1327914343_thumb.jp

Edited by GianniWest

good job on the tooling!

you tried that new tandy background which looks like waterdrops?

nice!

i am not good at all with flowers but yours look good for a first

3d pic :

about the saddle structure

i do not know if it's because of the picture or the way the saddle sit on the stand

but it seems to me that your rigging dee is a bit too backward or was it your intend to do a 3/4 rigging dee?

about the leather aspect :

have you oiled your leather or put a specific product on it?

i really like the looks .....it looks like an antique saddle!

grouphug5vj5.gif

Dear Aurelie, you've got it right, the 3/4 was not really wanted, but there are saddles with 3/4 rigging, then, okay, I'll pretend I wanted it so.<BR closure_uid_saepbc="6196" Kc="null"><BR closure_uid_saepbc="6197" Kc="null">To finish I used the technique of "antique" that you see in the video Tandy leather. I really like as a result of this technique.<BR closure_uid_saepbc="6198" Kc="null"><BR closure_uid_saepbc="6199" Kc="null">However I've already planned that the next saddle leather will be overturned (it says so?), I would like to focus on technical aspects. This is my 2 nd seat, compared to 1, I made ​​progress. Although the work is completed, it is stronger regret for the things to enhance that satisfaction for things done well. The next will be better

Keep it!

Aurelie, I ask you where do you get the leather? I take it where I provide by Weaver's Herman Oack good, but it's a bit expensive

Dear Aurelie, you've got it right, the 3/4 was not really wanted, but there are saddles with 3/4 rigging, then, okay, I'll pretend I wanted it so.

then "hush" ;)

However I've already planned that the next saddle leather will be overturned (it says so?), I would like to focus on technical aspects.

i guess you mean "rough out" or the underside of the hide on top?

This is my 2 nd seat, compared to 1, I made ​​progress. Although the work is completed, it is stronger regret for the things to enhance that satisfaction for things done well. The next will be better

Always!

the next one is always better than the previous one

you learn something with each new saddle

i can tell you about Yves Lesire, 1 big western saddle maker here in france who told me rightly :

the day when you're satified with your job, the day you think you have nothing more to learn is the day you must quit that job!

and i really think that he is totally right on that matter

Aurelie, I ask you where do you get the leather? I take it where I provide by Weaver's Herman Oack good, but it's a bit expensive

i bought 10 hides directly from Hand O - grade A top quality but it cost me a lot of money

i do not have enough "turn over" to use thoses hides quickly enough

I had some storage troubles and to top it off i encoutered troubles with the quality of the last batch of leather

so i was a bit...disappointed .....

so i tried to buy from Weaver 3 hides from another supplier : chahin

it's a bit more thick that H and O that i usually use

from 1st tests , it seems to behave quite similar to H and O but it's a bit cheaper (no much though)

i will tell you my feeling when i will start my next saddle in June if you want

time for scientific tests i guess ;)

Edited by Aurelie

My next will be a rough-out saddle seat. And I think the Chain leather will be fine (saving something). Good idea!

Maybe when we do the work we tell the feelings. I think it's harder to carve than to 'HO, It also costs less ($ 146.61 vs. $ 168.28) 13% less, which is not bad

For the tree I thought I still turn to Bowden, a Cliff Wade Tree

Héhéhé

as for me i have way more on my plate than what i can eat!

I ve got that saddle to finish for Sheridan

then i have an order for a reining saddle : a black and bungury one (the black and yellow one gave some idea to some customers)

i have also a barrel saddle tree and i think that i will make it bicolor : natural + chestnuts (i have the leather to do it )

and it will allowes me to try a barrel saddle

i have ordered an endurance arabian tree too and i have a nice idea in the corner of my mind but not yet the leather for it

On each saddle i build i try to put some more "challenge" and try something i have never done before : it's the way to learn

Geez.....in fact i have work for more than the year!

Have fun Gianni and remember :

"Always think outside the box!"

outside_the_box.jpg

Oh yes! How to add 4 points with 3 lines? Simply going out of the box

post-23856-072522500 1328271592_thumb.jp