Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

wristband

I've been drooling over the art in The Great Book of Celtic Patterns and brought it to work to share around. Several of my coworkers have been ordering small projects from me, and one fell in love with this pattern. Trouble (for me!) was that she wanted it on a 2" wide wristband. I'm not used to doing that intricate, that small. But I gave it a go and was fairly pleased with the outcome. I know I could've done better in a larger format (like if it were bracers for a Ren.Faire) Still, I think she'll be pleased. Her plan is to get her mom's initials tattooed on her wrist (mom is battling cancer), but her other jobs won't allow tattoos to show. So this will cover it. I'm doing another with a Celtic dragon. I figured I'd get the tough one out of the way first!

Showing the pattern first (yeah, I know it's sideways), then the band unstained, then done with all-in-one mahogany. The band will also feature buckle straps in place of snaps.

scan0002.jpg

004.JPG005.JPG008.JPG

post-5639-1223950272_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1223950286_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1223950294_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1223950299_thumb.jpg

Very nice!! I have the same book and I love it!! Taught one of my leather minions to do a belt this past weekend with one of the knots on it. She had to trace it the full length of the belt.

I will post pix when she gets it done.

Keep carving!!

William

Edited by calanneh

That looks very nice! I have trouble doing things that small, you definately did better than I could!

Looking good!!

I've done lots of small celtic stuff and know how hard it is. I use a LED forehead lamp to see the tracing lines when carving because the small work has a tendency to allways end up beeing shadowed by the hand.

Tom

love a nice wrist band...sweet!!!

very nice work. and i really like that design....hmmm... i sense another book purchase in my future...

thanks for showing

ken

Thanks! I'm LOL at the "minions" comment...

Wow very cool. I have never tried anything that small. Looks great.

Thanks! The other projects I have coming up are not quite as tough...but then I was asked for this on a passport wallet:

scan0004.jpg

post-5639-1224460226_thumb.jpg

I found that dragon to be tougher then it looks. Thats a great book and has alot of cool ideas and designs.

I'm probably going to simplify it a little to fit in the space better. I did that to a Celtic cross pattern Tandy had out a while ago.