Sign in to follow this  
js5972

Colored Floral On Clutch Purse

I can never figure out where to post my work, so I am putting it in several forums.

The floral patterns are modified from a Tony Laier Craftaid. All coloring is with Eco-Flo dyes, which I am still trying to perfect.

The purse kit is a “Victorian Clutch Purse” which I think is discontinued-well at least it should be. After I took these pix, I discovered that the purse would not snap shut with the (inside) strap attached. I’ll have to move the snap. Pretty typical of Tandy kits, though. They never really fit together quite right. I always use backing, so I am pretty sure it is not caused by tooling stretch. I don’t particularly like to use kits but I have not the inclination, skills, tools, or equipment to make my own “guts” for purses, wallets, etc.

Comments are welcomed.

post-13515-037197600 1330982305_thumb.jp

post-13515-073824600 1330982306_thumb.jp

I think you done a decent job on your dyeing. When you make another without a border, don't let the design get into the stitch line.

Your carving on the flower side looks pretty good, I believe your leather may have been too wet when you done the basket weave.

Also: don't let the BW stamp impinge on the stitch line.

ferg

I can never figure out where to post my work, so I am putting it in several forums.

The floral patterns are modified from a Tony Laier Craftaid. All coloring is with Eco-Flo dyes, which I am still trying to perfect.

The purse kit is a "Victorian Clutch Purse" which I think is discontinued-well at least it should be. After I took these pix, I discovered that the purse would not snap shut with the (inside) strap attached. I'll have to move the snap. Pretty typical of Tandy kits, though. They never really fit together quite right. I always use backing, so I am pretty sure it is not caused by tooling stretch. I don't particularly like to use kits but I have not the inclination, skills, tools, or equipment to make my own "guts" for purses, wallets, etc.

Comments are welcomed.

Ferg, thanks for the input.

Those petals crossing the stitch line are downright embarrassing. For some reason, I thought it would look OK when I layed it out. Very sloppy on my part, though. My only excuse is that I was originally going to lace the edges. The "customer" wanted stitching.

Regarding the BW, are you saying the leather was too wet for stamping or for dyeing?

Thanks again,

JOHN

Too wet for stamping.

ferg

Ferg, thanks for the input.

Those petals crossing the stitch line are downright embarrassing. For some reason, I thought it would look OK when I layed it out. Very sloppy on my part, though. My only excuse is that I was originally going to lace the edges. The "customer" wanted stitching.

Regarding the BW, are you saying the leather was too wet for stamping or for dyeing?

Thanks again,

JOHN