Larry

How do I make a Cartridge Belt Slide?

I tried to make a pattern out of paper for a 6 cartridge belt slide for .357 mag and not having any luck. I tried making one out of scraps just to see how it might be done. I didn’t realize it was such a technique to it. Can someone help me out with some instructions or a source for how to do one? I’ve seen some pictures on the forum of some beautiful rigs with holster, belt and a slide that matches. Thanks everyone, this is all still very new to me. I’ve made the holster. Thanks again. Larry

3personholster04Small.jpg

Hi Larry,

I’ve made clocks, knife sheaths, everything else almost but never tried a holster! However, I have a friend who makes one of the most professional looking holster “conceal carry”jobs I’ve seen! Check out: Rhome of DGL he’s on LW. You can check his site: www.desbiensgunleather.com. I hope this helps.

MALIGAYANG PASKO!

Rhona

Baguio City, Philippines

http://rhonacarantes.multiply.com

Larry,

You will need leather for the slide, let's say 8-9 oz, and leather for the loops, under 7 oz. The leather for the loops will have to be cut to width, any ornamantation (?) done to it, dyed (?), edges finished. There are different ways to proceed, if you want the rim of the carterage to ride on a shelf, you will have the loops sewn onto another piece of leather which is sewn to the looped slide, or the rims are stopped by the loop. The loops are sized for the cartdrige and sewn in place, do not groove on the loop side, as the leather is thin, and the strength is a plus. Then fold the piece in half, (welt or no welt) and sew. You would probably be well to give yourself an extra 1.5 inches extra on each end, after cutting to center the loops after them all, then edging. Don't be discouraged if you have one or two practice pieces.

Marc

Yep, pretty much what Marc said.I do mine a little different as I slot my top piece and weave the cartridge strap through the slots and attach on the ends. I also put snaps on mine at the bottom.Dave

ammo.jpg

The instructions I gave have a downside, the loops can stretch out. The downside to Dave's method is if you pull out for a partial reload, the others can get loose. I did make one belt with a similar method to Dave's, but cut one end long, didn't secure it, and pull it tight when cartredges are removed. That was mentioned by Elmer Keith as one of his favorite patterns.

As for books on construction related to this, pick up a copy of Al Stohlman's Making Leather Cases, Vol I. All three of these books are great for techniques and how to.

Marc

Thanks, Marc and Dave for the help. After a couple of days and a lot of trial and error, I think I finally got it. I went with Marc's method because it worked out a little better for me. But Dave's method is good too. I have a cowboy rig done by Bill Weaver from Oklahoma (Leather, Guns & Etc.) and he used slots for the loops on my rig. He did a great job, as anyone who knows Bill will agree. I actually worked out measurements for the location of the stitching holes and cut my pieces then punched the holes with a 4 pronged diamond hole punch. Put it in my stitching horse and when I pulled the stitches tight the loops came right into position. The cartridges are real snug. I used the welt, folded over and glued. This is my first one and since its still new to me, my stitches are a little sloppy. My name is not centered and there are other things, but I just wanted to get one completed so I would know what to expect. I plan to make a good one and will take more time with it now that I know how it all goes together. Thanks again. Larry

CartridgeBeltSlide.jpg

Edited by Larry

All the high points have been well-covered. The only thing that I would add is wet-forming the loops to the cartridges, stretching the leather into final form. Otherwise normal wear will accomplish the stretching and over time the loops will become loose more easily.

Very nice job on the Threepersons' holster!

Edited by Lobo

I have not tried to build any belt loops my self, but I remember reading years ago, that a good way to keep the loops from stretching too much over time, is to cut a strip of leather and wet it, then stretch it as far as it will go. Then use it to make the loops. I don't know if this would help or not.

Thanks Okie44 I'll check it out. It's sure worth looking in to.

Lobo, thanks for the tip. Wet forming the loops will also help when I go to stitching them in place. Also, thanks for the compliment on the holster. Coming from you means a lot.

Lobo, thanks for the tip. Wet forming the loops will also help when I go to stitching them in place. Also, thanks for the compliment on the holster. Coming from you means a lot.

here is mine actually quite smiple to make id be glad to talk to you you need further help lee

here is mine actually quite smiple to make id be glad to talk to you you need further help lee

post-22791-053803500 1342784753_thumb.jp

post-22791-013696300 1342784768_thumb.jp

post-18937-040383600 1342788814_thumb.jpMost of the ones I get orders for are the snap on type. Normally I stitch the loops on, but I have to make a set for a customer for the S&W 500 mag this weekend. I will use the loop through the back on these, they stick out a little farther but I feel will be more secure for the larger cartridges.

post-18937-073814700 1342788791_thumb.jp

Do you happen to have a picture of the back of these, Dave?

Jake

Yep, pretty much what Marc said.I do mine a little different as I slot my top piece and weave the cartridge strap through the slots and attach on the ends. I also put snaps on mine at the bottom.Dave

ammo.jpg

Here is another tip...go to springfield leather and order the 5 pack of horsehide belt blanks...this are thin enough for catridge loops, and quite firm...get them really wet for forming so they dont crack...when they dry they are rock hard...

Do you happen to have a picture of the back of these, Dave?

Jake

I am currently working on a gunbelt for a coworker for a pair of Uberti Scholfields and I may have gone a little overboard. the inside and outside belts are of 9-10oz and I ended up using 9-10oz for the cartridge loops. My main question is I only had 4 rounds to work with but I had a piece of 1/2" dowell rod that i cut into 2" sections to insert into each loop untill the leather dried. Now the cartridges drop right into the loops with the rim preventing the cartridge from falling out. Will this be ok in the long run or should I get another 8 cartridges(I'm putting 12 on each side) and reform the loops tighter?

The problem with the 1/2" dowel is that it is .50" and .45 cal is .45". SO yes they would fit loose. Yes the rim will keep the rounds from falling through. However there is the potential for rounds falling out depending on what activity he may be doing when wearing it and especially when he takes the belt off. If you did not stitch them in I would recomend loosening one end tighten all the loops and refasten.

Really wont be a big deal to cut a rivet out re-wet and redo at least its better than asking after cementing and sewing. I'm having him bring in an additional 8 rounds so I can do all 12 at one time.

Oh, and if I had a lathe I could have turned them to 0.46" or maybe in my 1/2" drill and some sand paper? Hmmmmm could be an excuse to buy another tool :thumbsup:

I think a half inch dowel is probably a tad too big too. A .45Colt, which is probably the largest pistol cartridge you'd typically make loops for has a diameter of .480" and the rim is only .512". So it wouldn't take too much for it to work its way out of a half inch loop. If you're doing .44Spl/Mag, .38-40, .44-40 or anything smaller, it's definitely too big.

You mentioned .46. I woul reccomend using something a tad bit smaller then the diameter of the cartridge. That way the cartridge will fit snug and over time and use it will loosen up but not enough to be a proble. Also if you are wetting your loops you will notice that although you pull them tight and they feel snug onec the leather dries they will feel a little looser.