Sign in to follow this  
George B

Singer Model 628 To Sew Wallet Linings & Garment Leather

Hey All,

Sometimes I get requests for items that require a smaller sewing machine than is capable of without resetting all the tension and stuff, so, my question is will a Singer model 628 sew items like light garment leather for bucking rolls, wallets and the such?

I'm working on an extremely limited budget and found one of these lil' babies with table and all accessories.

Will it work for the above?

Thanks, George

guessing you've already tried this or gotten some local advice, but for anyone else who stumbles across this.

the enclosed motor (and I don't remember rating on mine - 1A maybe) limits how much "needle push through" these home sewing types can generate and the bottom feed means that u may have to assist machine to pull the leather through (even if it's just triple thickness light weight wallet interior).

There are alot better Singer home machines to use than this one because this & most Touch & Sews have plastic gears that will break(we stock them) Try finding an older black Singer that only has straight stitch on it, w/a built-in motor they are all metal & have a very strong motor & are built to last.The bobbin goes in underneath.You can use #69 nylon on these & they are great to get started with.