Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Another Honda And Some Scarf Slides

Megabit--nice looking. What diameter dowel did you use for the slides? Do the slides have a base material??

Charlie

I think that one is 7/16. They all have various sized Spanish ring knots as a foundation. I've used latigo before but I think I like just using a knot on a knot better.

do you have any problems with the rawhide directly on the scarf snagging the material? i am using tubing from the the ag store for my interior.

I know you aren't talking to me but Rawhide (I think it was Rawhide) had a great way. He wrapped a piece of leather around a the dowel and made the button on that. It's a great way, no glue, nothing extra. At one point I was really good at getting the extra piece of leather just the right size, but I haven't made any in quite a while.

I don't know I mostly just tie my wild rag.:rolleyes: The latigo would slip off to easy sometimes though, so I figure the rawhide should stay in place better.

i tried the leather thing a couple of times but had a hard time getting it the right size...then i read on a website somewhere that they used the tubing so i got some and tried it and it works great. when your knot is nice and tight and covers the cut ends of the tubing it makes everything really smooth. i make 1/2 and 5/8 size and i just cut the tubing to the length i want and then slip it onto the dowel and away i go

i tried the leather thing a couple of times but had a hard time getting it the right size...then i read on a website somewhere that they used the tubing so i got some and tried it and it works great. when your knot is nice and tight and covers the cut ends of the tubing it makes everything really smooth. i make 1/2 and 5/8 size and i just cut the tubing to the length i want and then slip it onto the dowel and away i go

I have never actually tried making scarf slides...Not sure we would have much call for them in this country where most people would pay less than the material cost of leather on the scarf itself...

I think I like your beveled one better, the knot stands out more.

I think I like your beveled one better, the knot stands out more.

Actually all of them are beveled just the one is a bit more beveled than the others. :rolleyes:

Great work Megabit!

I have seen some great examples of hondas on this site. I have a few questions about using one of these.

How are they attached to the rope?

How common are they used by competitive ropers?

How common are they used on the ranch?

Why are they used? To add weight or the speed of closing the loop?

To me, every knot or splice creates a weak spot. Wouldn't a honda knot with a rawhide burner be stronger and just as durable?

Thanks for any knowledge you can pass my way,

JR

How are they attached to the rope?

Turks head or Mathew Walker knot in the end of the rope.

How common are they used by competitive ropers?

Guess that depends on what you mean by competitive roper. I don't think you'll see many of the rubber wrapped horn team ropers using them. While you will likely see lots of them at a Ranch Roping competition.

How common are they used on the ranch?

That depends on a ranch where they use long ropes and slick horns you will likely see lots of them. Less so perhaps where short ropes tied hard and fast are the norm.

Why are they used? To add weight or the speed of closing the loop?

They can do all of those things. They also make it easier to take the twist out of a long rope.

Well roo that sounds nice and easy too! I tried copper fittings for a while and I never liked the look.

8th Sinner...you make all those rings but no scarf slides! You really should try some. Oh...you know how cool your silver would look in one of those! I know, to expensive, but it would be nice!

yup very easy, i just use floral tape or masking tape around the tub to make the shape i want for my knot and to build up the edges so that when i pull it off the dowel the bights cover the plastic edges completely

I know you aren't talking to me but Rawhide (I think it was Rawhide) had a great way. He wrapped a piece of leather around a the dowel and made the button on that. It's a great way, no glue, nothing extra. At one point I was really good at getting the extra piece of leather just the right size, but I haven't made any in quite a while.

Well bugga me mate ,,, if he aint talking to ya ,,, i always will be ,, xoxoxox

Gday mate , i have been on a externial site and i must say you have some of the best pics i have seen in a long time... I do wish i could get my hands on some rawhide work ,,, i was wondering did you do a twisted core or a plaited core for the bosals you have done???

Could i ask what size strip if it was a twisted core or what was the size strings if it was plaited

Thank you for any info you can pass on

Cheers mate

Bevan

Gday mate , i have been on a externial site and i must say you have some of the best pics i have seen in a long time... I do wish i could get my hands on some rawhide work ,,, i was wondering did you do a twisted core or a plaited core for the bosals you have done???

Could i ask what size strip if it was a twisted core or what was the size strings if it was plaited

Thank you for any info you can pass on

Cheers mate

Bevan

The two bosals I've done had braided cores. I don't recall what size strings I used. I do recall the first one ended up a little larger than I intended so I used smaller strings the next time. I think the size of string you use is going to depend on the target size of the bosal and if you plan to wrap the core or not. Some people will wrap the core with say chap leather to build it up some. I know others that will wrap it with tape more to make it stiffer than build it up though.

:ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :crazy:

Wife left the dog in the house yesterday and he found the 4 slides on my bathroom counter and had a snack. :( :( :( :(

Edited by megabit

NASTY

Maybe it was jealous you didn't make it something nice

MMMM, yummy!

One of my cockatoos managed to reach one of my bridles once.