Shooter McGavin

Skirting Vs Tooling Re: Holster Making ?

Called W&C today to inquire about some tooling leather. He told me most of his holster makers use the skirting leather. I've never tried it before. Assuming thicknesses are the same, what are the pros and cons of using skirting leather? Can it be detail boned like the tooling leather? Does it accept dye as well, etc etc..

I ran a couple of searches and didnt find much that addressed this question.

Thanks!

I use skirting leather for all of my holsters. Don't know about the boneing because i don't make that type of holster. Probely 15 years ago i tried the carveing / tooling leather and i didn't like it at all. The grain side had a funny feel and look and when i tried to do a light oil finish it wouldn't take but if dropped in the oil and pulled right out wipeing all the oil i could off it got really dark and stayed oily for a long time.

Shooter,

I use W&C skirting for holster making. They will split it to any weight you need. It stamps and molds great. It also takes oil beautifully. Here is a pic of a holster made with W&C skirting split to 7oz. You can also look at this page. Andrewsleather.com, he uses W&C leather almost exclusively for his holsters.

post-17641-055321700 1308788489_thumb.jp