Danielvetpath

Should I Glue Messenger Bag Gusset

I am still working my was through my first messenger bag project. Veg tanned, 6-7 oz front and back, 5-6 oz square edged gusset, stitches turned out, square gusset, 277 bonded polyester thread. Last night I was practicing stitching the front/back corner to the gusset to get a feel for that part of the project. My scraps were not glued - I had premarked/premade holes (stitch marking wheel 7 spi, awl). It went really well allowing me to line up the pieces as I went. Prior to that experience, I had planned on gluing the edges together first, but had always dreaded the prospect of wrestling the edges together at that point. Now I am considering foregoing the contact cement and just stitching them together as I go. So....do I need to glue (contact cement) the gusset to the front and back or is stitching alone okay. I would love any opinions, especially from some folks that seem to make a lot of bags for motorcycles, etc that get pretty heavy use! Thanks, Daniel

I almost always glue gussets. I've had one or two that tried to twist a little from the weight, and having the edges stuck together really helped with keeping things aligned. The practice on scrap is a great idea, but it misses the effect of having the rest of the bag resist your efforts (not always the case, but some of them will fight you to the end.) There's also edge finishing to consider. If you have the leather glued all the way to the edge, it will act more like one piece of leather when slicking/burnishing and give better results. Non-glued edges could see puckering and separating after a little bit of use.

I had the same problem until I discovered rubber cement. This cement is much like contact cement but you are able to take it appart and reposition it one or two times. The bond will not be as strong but it will still hold pretty well.

I don't do a lot of bags, . . . etc. . . . but when I do, . . . they are contact cemented together.

Trying to hold several pounds of leather, . . . keep the stitches aligned, . . . make sure you are doing it right, . . . it's too much for me if I'm also having to hold two pieces (or three or four) of leather in the right place.

For me, . . . contact cement is as important as the sleigh is to Santa Claus.

As for rubber cement, . . . over time, . . . it dries out, . . . turns loose, . . . doesn't hold any more. I've got stuff stuck together with contact cement that's been there over 20 years, . . . still holding on. Stitches can break, become worn & frizzled, . . . but if the CC is still there, . . . it'll keep it together. OTOH, . . . if you only need it to hold long enough to stitch, . . . go for it, . . . rubber cement is great for positioning and stuff.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight