rktaylor

Saddle Assembly And Oiling

I am almost done with my skirts and have my riggings installed. I am wondering if I should oil my skirts before installation. I won't be able to get to most of them after they are installed. If I do, should I oil everything I have made to this point?

I am also thinking that I should cover my swells before installing skirts.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Randy

randy i'd oil m cause they'll not see open air rfer a long time eh;th stohlman books on saddl makin are great for any level if you dont have m try to locate th 3 books n get educated all th steps are there with explanations

I oil all my parts prior to assembly. Petit planning, you can have all your parts finished together, and can oil everything at once. You can oil, antique and final finish before final assembly.

You have to cover your swell before installing skirts. You can't fit inside the hand hole with the skirts in place.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure what I was thinking about installing the skirts ahead of the swell cover. I hope to get the swell cover installed before the weekend so I can start thinking about the seat.

I need to look over someone's shoulder for a while. I need the skirts in place before I fit my seat. Do you install the skirts temporarily to fit the seat and then wait until the seat is fit for final installation? If so, do you pull the rear lugs over the top of the rigging plate (flat plate rigging)? My educational material says they go on under the plates.

I am probably mixing methods from several makers. I don't know if that's good or bad, I am just trying to find my way.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

Your questions are a little confusing since you've made two saddles already. Don't oil anything until you've finished everything and are ready to put everything together. Everyone has their own sequence of construction, and it sounds like you haven't found yours yet. First, I fit up my skirts and block them (don't cut the bottom of them yet). Second, I install my seat. Next, I cover my horn and cap (this will vary from maker to maker). Anyway you get the picture.

After you install your rigging and determine lug positions, you may have to punch a slot through your rigging plates so that the lugs can be pulled up tight and lay flat. This is okay since you can't tack them on until the rigging is attached. Don't line your skirts until you have checked your rigging drop, seat jockey, and general symmetry of the saddle. If everything looks good, now cut the bottom of your skirts to match your pattern, and put the final touches on them (stamping, etc.). It sounds funny, but I start making my skirts first thing, but don't finish them until most of the rest of the saddle is complete. This is what works for me.

Ron

Ron,

If you think I am confusing you, you should see me. Ha.

My first saddle basically followed Dusty Johnson's plan. The second was the in-skirt rigging and I was making up a lot on the go. It was easy to oil everything because the skirts/rigging went on last. Jeremiah Watt installs skirts before the back of the rigging so the tugs are under the rigging. He doesn't mention oiling until late in the process. I have followed enough of his steps up to now, it's kind of hard to change.

I think I am going to oil the parts of the skirts that aren't visible before I install them and then oil the visible parts when I do the rest of the saddle. I am hoping to find a 'system' that works for me, but I don't know if I will ever build enough saddles to accomplish that. However, since I have been numbering my saddles with two digits (I didn't figure I would ever need three), my daughter pointed out that if I don't build 10 I wasted the first digit.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the advice.

Randy

I watched part of the JW DVD this morning. Though he doesn't mention it specifically, he does oil the part of the skirts that contact the bars before he installs them.

Randy

When ready for final assembly and oiling of everything at that stage, you should have seat installed, cantle back and binding on, horn and swell covered. Oil skirts when they are lined with strings and lugs in place. I must confess to being a bit confused by your questions and therefore the flood of answers. TIP. if you are going to be installing any kind of horn wrap, wait til after oiling to do it, especially mulehide. And before long you will get your groove and be answering instead of asking questions.

I apologize for the confusing questions, but I am back on track. I believe it all comes back to assembly order and the fact that I am mixing methods from multiple sources (Watt, Adams, and Stohlman). I am looking for my groove, but I am a long ways from answering questions.

Thanks for helping me learn.

Randy