Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Advice on making a guitar strap?

I'm planning to make myself a black strap for a Johnny Cash alike black guitar. I'm thinking of making a padded version like Mosby use to do.

Can anyone give me good advice? I need to know what dimensions the single parts are and if I should take speccial care on something. A pattern would be the best of course.

Anyhow, did one of you allready made one? How long did it take you?

Heavier the guit the wider one wants the strap, if your lookin at a accoustic then its all preferance. Typically from 1.5 to 3 inches wide. Most bass Straps , Les Paul and Telecsters tend to be heavier so youll gig players often have wider straps or atleast a wide shoulder area. I have seen accoustics with baling twine as a strap what im saying is take your pick and have away at it

I know I'm replying to an old post but in case anyone is surfing through I'll add my two cents. I've seen John play lots of guitars and use even more straps but your probably talking about his black Gibson J45 acoustic. Jeff Mosby used several different pads and materials depending on the model strap. He favored just using Barge cement to glue on a piece of shearling then trimming it close to the edge and beveling the edges of the wool. I usually sew mine on in addition to glue but you really have to keep your thread and needles waxed to pass through the wool without pulling a hunk of it through with the thread. I've even laced the edges after the shearling was on but again you have to keep the lace waxed heavily. Trimming the wool back a bit and beveling the edge of the shearling so it won't stick out in an unsightly manner helps also. Both Jeff and me make straps that have a shell the shoulder pad is attached to completely enclosing the strap so Jeffs' method of just gluing the shearling on afterward is less labor intensive and in the case of hand saddle stitching less layers of leather to have to pierce with the awl and needles. I just love the way several rows of heavy, waxed, saddle stitching looks in a contrasting color with the leather.

As far as the lengths and widths of the pieces go lets take a serious look at this issue. If you are making a strap for yourself and your favorite guitar use the measurement from whatever strap your currently using or get one of those cheap nylon ones and adjust it for yourself while playing standing and sitting and take those two measurements, punch holes in those locations and eliminate to need for buckles. Buckles and rivets and such certainly add to the bling factor but they scratch and ding your guitar in a million terrible ways. Most guitar players only need two adjustments so why should I risk putting dents in the finish and wood of a guitar that cost upwards of one to six months of labor on my part with a piece of bling. Just punch two holes in either the tail, or in the case of an acoustic/electric with a pass through jack/endpin, head of the strap.

More on this later.

Being a guitar player, and trying to learn how to work with leather, guitar straps are something I also want to try to do. So keep on posting info on that subject please...

Gilles