Sign in to follow this  
lokeland

Oil Dyed Leather Won't Get The Correct Color

I recently got a two bottles of Fiebings Professional Oil Dye, one in the color chocolate, and the other in walnut.

To test them I cut two pieces of veg tan (1mm kipside) and dyed them using a cloth (daubers haven't arrived yet, so I had to make due with what I had). I applied one layer of the chocolate colored dye on one leather piece, and one layer of the walnut color dye on the other piece. But now, even after 5 hours and some buffing, they both still look black. The only thing that got remotely close to the correct color was my finger (stupid me bought some extremely poorly made rubber gloves). So, the question now is what am I doing wrong? I've seen people on YouTube almost pooring dye over the leather, but it still soaks in fairly quick and fades to the correct color. And also, if someone could give me a tip about how to remove the dye from my finger, I'd be very happy.

My experience has been it takes overnight to get the final color. Patience!!! The dye will come off your fingers, eventually, welcome to the world of dying leather.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

It will lighten up as it continues to dry. But, chocolate is very , very dark. Think the color of dark chocolate, not milk chocolate. Also, different tannery processes will make the dye different colors. You need to be carefully about using leather from different tanneries on the same piece. Sometimes the colors do not even resemble each other.

If you are unhappy now, wait till you apply dye with a dauber! You will be looking at horribly striped leather. Eithr spray it or dip it, daubers are a bad, bad way to apply.

Aaron

I dip mine and it gets a pretty good even color. With small projects and a small amount of dye it may be hard to dip. If you use a dauber, you may have to re-apply to get even color, but that also may make it darker than you want. Use soap and one of those green scrubby pads to get the dye off. You are probably just removing some thin layer of skin to get it off. Also, try to do this before it dries too long on the finger or hands. I lay the scrubby on the middle bar of the sink and push hard while rubbing the affected finger over the scrubby.

I am curious to know whether you used dye prep?

Thanks for all the replies.

There is still no difference in the color. Both pieces still look black and the color is very even, and the only way to see which piece is which is by looking on the flesh side where it's actually brown, even though it's very uneven. I used this leather from The Identity Store (hard to find online shop with cheap shipping to Norway). I did not use any dye prep as I've seen people on YouTube dyeing leather with the Fiebings Oil Dye without using dye prep and getting a great result. I've bought some sponges (one small sponge mounted on a wooden stick and one sponge mounted on a plastic roller) and thought I'd try to dye a couple of pieces with the walnut dye, as it's the lightest color, and see if the result is the same. Thanks for all your tips! By the way, would it help if I provided you guys with some pictures?

Okey, so I tried dyeing to new piece again using the sponge and this time I only used the walnut colored dye. The first piece I died all over and it turned out just like the first two. Then I dyed the second piece, but this time I didn't touch the sides or the flesh side. By being very gentle with the sponge i managed to give the leather piece a dark brown color, with some black spots where I had applied to much die.

I checked with this color chart and the second leather piece has color that's just a little darker then what it should, though quite uneven. If I'd dip dye a piece I bet it would've turned out all black. It almost seems like the dye is too concentrated.

Edited by lokeland

My guess is that the leather you have is fairly loose grained, perhaps almost sponge like similar to the belly portion on a hide. If that is so, you will get the very dark effect you have now.

My guess is that the leather you have is fairly loose grained, perhaps almost sponge like similar to the belly portion on a hide. If that is so, you will get the very dark effect you have now.

That may off course be, but the flesh side looks pretty smooth and the edges does feel solid, but as I'm new to this I really don't know. I'm thinking of buying this leather, maybe that will work better with the dyeing.

Dilute the dye with isopropyl alcohol. About 1/3 dye and 2/3 alcohol.

Thank you! I'll pick some up on monday and try again. The second piece dried down to a fairly good color, though not perfectly even and slightly darker that I expected. How can people dip dye if the dye is so concentrated? I'd really like to try that, but I can't see how I'll get the correct color using that technique.

Okey, so I tryed dyeing on a new piece, but this time I only applied dye moderately on the flesh side. And guess what? It soaked up and went straight trough to the other side and the piece is now as black as the first two. And this was also a thicker piece then the first two I dyed.

Edited by lokeland

Despite the "how to" videos I've seen, I've never had success with F's dyes using anything but a spray gun. With a gun it's easier to control the amount of dye you are putting on the leather. It is kind of a pain to regulate, clean up, etc, but it's consistent and will be a lot more pleasing if you want a lighter color.

It does work, once you get the hang of it.

The holster is 2/3 Ox Blood and 1/3 black. It is dark, but not black. The Bible cover is brown (not sure what one), diluted with alcohol.I don't remember what color I used on the Checkbook, but likly was the same as I used on the Bible cover.

Aaron

post-2349-063232000 1316311301_thumb.jpg

post-2349-052535900 1316311313_thumb.jpg

post-2349-035264200 1316311349_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add, all of these are dip dyed. This one was done in british tan, diluted 50/50. Always practice on a sample and let it dry if you are going to be picky about the shade.

post-2349-018022400 1316311674_thumb.jpg