Sign in to follow this  
ValleyEquine

Question: Leather Choices For Tack

I am in need of tack, specifically a bridle and breast collar, and I am not finding many "off the shelf" options within my budget that I am liking. So, my tentative plan is to have a local Amish harness maker/tack repairer to make something for me. However, I want to be well informed so that I can inspect the leathers he has on hand, and be able to order (or have him order) another type of leather if necessary.

Main Questions~

~For the bridle and breast collar, would "English" bridle leather or harness leather be preferable? What are the pros/cons of each? (The tack will not be stamped, tooled, or carved.)

~I'd love to hear opinions on bridle leather and harness leather sources, from most expensive top of the line to sub par economy choices.

~Where have you found the best latigo? What are the best "pre-cut" latigo laces/saddle strings you have found?

Other Questions

What are the pros/cons of lining tack? Is this just a "fancy" sort of thing, or is there a practical purpose? What leathers are used for lining? I know I have heard of calfskin lining and glove leather lining, though I haven't come across tanneries or retailers that sell any leathers with that specific "title".

Veg Tan vs Chrome Tan? There seems to be a preference for veg tan, but I'm not sure why, as "Definition of Leather" post over in "All About Leather" states that chrome tanned is softer, better at holding shape, more water resistant, and more fade resistant than veg tan leather. Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

I know about Drum-Dyed leather. What are the other dying processes?

Edited by ValleyEquine

HI

I make tack and use mostly a veg-tan for the main body's and line with latigo. I tool a lot of mine so I need something that tools well and veg-tan works good for that.

Lining is not a must but it will make it look more professional and it also help to repel sweat better. That is why I use latigo as it does a good job with the sweat thing.

If not tooling then a good harness leather will work fine and the "English" bridle leather is a great choice as well.

I hope this helps some.

Mark

Thanks for response MarkB! Who is your choice of leather supplier? Would you be able to elaborate on the difference, or appropriate uses, for harness vs. bridle leather?

Edited by ValleyEquine